Poll shows many Republicans favor universal healthcare, gays in military

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 1, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the hill

some interesting numbers there, and the ageing of the party members shouldn't go unnoticed.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would be interested to see a poll of young voters aged 18-30 to get their views on politics as they are the future of the country.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Most of my younger friends 18 - 30 seem to ignore politics. Sure at the Universities they get politically active, but the average young Americans I know feel disenfranchised and sceptical about the whole 'democracy' thing, when corruption and special interest money rules the nation in most cases. The kids look the other way and turn up the bass. :(

On topic, yay for universal health care and a full diversity of peoples in the military! I am grateful for anyone willing to defend our freedoms and they all deserve utmost respect and admiration. Why should the poor get any less than the best medical treatment? They are of equal value to the rich in God's eye if not greater value! One of the things about organized religions that really pisses me off is the way they let their sick suffer yet can afford to build multi-million dollar temples and billion dollar ministries. I guess that's a rant for another thread someday...

I am registered republican since Bill cheated and lied (proven fact) in office, but I'm more of a conservative independent with some spiritual values.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...as opposed to...?

moderates? <----

---------------------------------------------------------------------------> neocons?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not disputing that, but you do know that he hasn't been in office for 6 years right? And that many of the major Republicans have as well, several running for President, or considering it. McCain, Guliani, Gingrich, Thompson. As well as others I may be forgetting. Meanwhile, Edwards and Obama (who are actually more conservative than people seem to think) have both been happily married for many years now. Same with Gore. Though to be fair, even though Romney gets a beating for being Mormon, he's only had one wife that he hasn't seemed to have cheated on. Though he did tie his dog to the roof of his car.

I don't know, wasn't really a Clinton fan when he was in office, but compared to how badly the current admin has been doing, I would gladly prefer his smug, lying, cheating butt to these jokers. Even if they were cheaters (and they're politicians, so they're all liars) I'd still prefer someone who will only screw up the country a little because they didn't do anything (the Dems) than those who do everything wrong and absolutely insist on doing it (the Repubs). Isn't that more important? Would you rather have a cheater like Newt or Rudy just because you agreed with many of their politics, especially even if you disagreed with a lot more?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As opposed to what Bush has done? Your reasoning leaves much to be desired. From what you say, given Bush's behavior, you should be practically a communist by now.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

:D I would vote for a candidate based on character and integrity whether I agreed with all their principles or not. Just hate political weasels. I thought GW was a good man or I'd have voted for Gore the politician... wish I had.:eek:

In Florida you can't vote in the primaries unless you are registered for one party or the other, and then only in the party of your affiliation. It's crooked, I say. But I have actually decided to register as a dem this fall because I think they will get us more on track, and I want Obama over Hillary as a choice in 2008. Hillary is too close to Bill for me to even consider...:rolleyes:

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Same with my state. I always have to decide whether to register to vote against someone or for someone.

I too want Obama to win the nomination over Hillary, but probably for different reasons. Hopefully the Clinton machine will have rolled back and forth over him several times before the nomination is complete.

That reminds me to write his campaign and encourage him to consider Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson as a running mate when the time comes.:)

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Obama getting nominated is the LAST thing any Republican/conservative wants. Don't lie- you guys want Hillary more than anything. As a matter of fact, you all salivate over it. Obama will mop the floor with any of your sorry potential candidates and you know it.

10. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I don't see that most conservatives really care on obama v. clinton. Obama is a lightweight and his inexperience is painfully obvious (worse than Edwards in 2004) and Clinton's baggage is, well, her baggage. What is worrying conservatives (not synomous with "Republican" by a longshot) is that the current crop of "leading" candidates suck and there is no Ronald Reagan in sight. If a true conservative emerges who actually demonstrates some charisma (Thompson? I dunno, I doubt it), conservatives are confident whoever the democratic contender is will lose.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good luck with that.

12. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I agree. Say what you will about Reagan. The man commanded an audience (at least in his first term). No one today approaches his ability to do that.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

They may be the future, but since most rarely vote, they really don't matter!

It's not surprising that the over 55 bunch is coming around on gay issues and especially not when it comes to universal health care.

They're the group that needs health care the most and realize that the system as it stands will fail them miserably. I think Medicare is due to run out of funds within the next decade so there's hope that universal health care will see the light of day as long as the over 55s band together. The under 30s are those who need health care the least so it'll be interesting to see how the debate turns out.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Worse than Bush's in '00? Funny, that "inexperienced" and "lightweight" charge didn't seem to bother conservatives much back then!

Oh there is someone I can think of who has audiences eating out of his hand on a regular basis. Unfortunately he is constitutionally barred from seeking another term in office... :p

15. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

That's a good point. Bush was the chief executive of Texas for 1.5 terms (though it seems like it was a hobby or something for him). Obama does have immense potential, I just don't think he's ready for the job.

Conservatives have had mjor problems with those labels in earlier decades. I can't remember anyone, ANYONE who thought Dan Quayle was the right man for the VP slot in 1988 - I think even GWHB regretted it the next day.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd say Obama does that just fine.

Abraham Lincoln did OK.

17. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Talking on the right side of the aisle. I agree Obama is a good orator, he just doesn't have much to say IMO.

Lincoln! The man who suspended Habeus Corpus? Held the senate in contempt? yeah, he did ok.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah OK- that gives me some insight into your thinking. Apparently Lincoln was a bad guy. Oh OK, right. That was extremely disingenuous of you.

And Reagan had plenty to say? Are you kidding me? He was full of nothing but hot air- a big cheerleader. Trust me, I had to live through the Reagan years- almost as unpleasant as the Carter years, albeit for different reasons.

19. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

LOL!! touchy touchy...

I guess you missed the irony of my quote. One of the greatest american presidents also willfuly dismissed the consitution, yet his legacy is firmly intact.

I never said Reagan had a lot to say, I just said he was good at saying it. If you were old enough to watch him speak at public events, he commanded an audience like no one else.

If trying to get inside my mind is your goal, you gotta try lots harder, but I don't recommend it!

20. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Obama not experienced enough?! He's the only one who's young enough to know what's up in the world today. The rest are all jaded and tainted.:cool:

21. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid to ask what you mean by "what's up". What's next? Hilton/Lohan 2012? "I'm proud to announce the creation of the Department of Homeland Fashion. Everything will be hot now." :eek:

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Let's see, our current insurance backed healthcare system is broken so badly -- they want to expand it and let the government take it over. :eek:

Quite sure the standard of care would drastically be reduced (dropping to a rather third world minimum standard of care), and people would be given the cheapest drugs -- rather than the drugs advertised on tv.

C'mon people the $15 drug may be safer than the $199.95 drug that is 2-5% more effective -- and less likely to kill you, seems the tv drugs tend to lean that way.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Or it may wind up like Medicare, who are somehow able to keep something like a 2% overhead compared to the bloated 30+% the insurance companies manage.

24. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

What's up is every human being on the face of this earth deserves equal time and equal opportunity. Americans aren't 'special.' This is a new era of world communion through lightning fast communications, and our next president needs to get with the whole globe and figure some serious sh** out before somebody pulls the plug with a nuke. A world divided against itself can not stand.:cool:

25. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

The last thing any conservative wants? I'm pretty conservative and I would much rather see Obama than Hillary take the Dem nomination. I like Obama better, and I think he would make a better President than Hillary (even if I don't agree with him). If any Democrat is going to become President I'd much rather have someone like Obama, who is atleast some what in touch with the younger generation, than that old batty witch Hillary. But then again, if Hillary gets the nomination my party (which I don't really include Bush in since his views are quite different from mine) has a much better chance of gaining the Presidency, tough.