Poll shows that millennials would flock to Clinton against Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Mar 14, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Donald Trump will never, ever, be President of the United States.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...als-clinton-sanders-trump-president/81612520/

2. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

If Trump wins the nomination, I think he will tone down his rhetoric. If he can distance himself from the nut cases, millennials might lose motivation to rally against him. Or Trump will double down and lose by the biggest margin since Carter.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The best Trump can do is get them to not show up. His only hope in winning is if it is a very low turnout election and his 1/3rd of the Republican Party makes up a majority of the electorate.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

does anyone other that loyalist want Hillary there?

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The problem with this, however, is if he tones down his rhetoric, he loses his supporter base because he will no longer be able to deliver on the promises he is giving them. That base will get pissed, stop supporting him, and go away.

So he's stuck: His only other option is to double down on the rhetoric, which is pushing the rest of the country away from him, or give up and drop out of the race.

BL.

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Who knows, but I think it will be an uphill battle for him to win the election. What I do know is that November 8th will be an exciting day.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think many people want Hillary there until they start looking at the alternatives and see that it is Trump or Cruz, and she is much better than either.

8. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I don't think Trump or his supporters are know for their consistency. I'm sure he can talk his way out if it, who knows what will happen. If I have learned one think about American primaries this year, it's that the GOP is their own worst enemy. I think Trump will lose, it's just a matter of it being close or a complete cluster****.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

As long as it's settled that day, I'll be happy. Any more exciting than that and I'll die.

10. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

If Trump/Sanders get the nomination, it will be over within 20 minutes of the first polls closing. If it's Trump/Hilary, it may take a few hours.

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Not me. But then I'm a great-aunt, not a grandpa...

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Too bad for you:

Millennials don’t believe in voting
    The problem is getting worse. Kei Kawashima-Ginsberg, director of CIRCLE, a Tufts-based center that studies civic engagement among young Americans, said the percentage of 18-to-29-year-olds who voted in the 2014 midterm elections was 19.9, the lowest ever recorded, and significantly below the 24 percent who voted in 2010.​

This is classic:

But state and local government did just as poorly — 30 percent and 33 percent, respectively. Kawashima-Ginsberg says young voters aren’t disengaged; they’re mulling over issues, staging protests, thinking deeply. It’s just that three-quarters of them “don’t think that politics as usual, which is voting, is an effective means of changing society.”
    And that is what passes for critical reasoning amongst today's millennials.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

But they are turning out in the 2016 primaries.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nobody questions that they're turning out. But are they showing up in numbers that will make a difference in November? So far all Dem primaries have had turnout well below those in 2008, meanwhile Republicans are enjoying record turnout.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Millenials might show up for Bernie, Hillary is not doing all that well with them.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The problem is a lot of that record turnout is driven by people wanting to stop Trump who won't come out in November if he is the nominee. Unfortunately that opposition is being split too many ways.

18. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

So you're pinning your hopes on Republicans not wanting to defeat Hillary if Cruz is the nominee? Yeah, good luck with that.

19. bent christian, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  20. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

From your mouth to God's ears.

22. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I'm third party and I would vote for Trump just to piss off Democrats.