Poll: The Donald Trump Presidency is.......

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Micky Do, May 23, 2018.

?

The Donald Trump presidency is......

Poll closed May 30, 2018.
  1. All sweet; should be allowed to continue beyond two terms

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Better than expected

13 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Good, as expected

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. Generally good, with the odd drawback

16 vote(s)
    12.4%
  5. Maybe OK, maybe not.... Let's see what happens

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Generally bad, with the odd blessing

8 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. Bad, as expected

11 vote(s)
    8.5%
  8. Worse than expected

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. A disaster; should be terminated as soon as possible

62 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

About 16 months in, the Donald Trump presidency is certainly more polarising than unifying. At this stage, good, bad or indifferent, what say you in this one week poll?

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

The media is polarizing. Trump is just giving them the finger for a change.

3. Micky Do thread starter macrumors 68000

Micky Do

The media has long been somewhat polarised. The Donald Trump presidency is making it more so.

Incidentally, the US media doesn't rank all that well for a country that claims to be a bastion of free speech. The US currently ranks 45 (out of 180 countries) with a score of about 23 out of 100 (0 = total freedom; 100 = total repression).

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

If you read the PRSI for a few weeks, you can predict pretty well the outcome of the poll :).

I'll never understand though why posters think that they will change anyones mind.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

And Trump with his lies and divisiveness isnt?

6. Micky Do, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

Micky Do thread starter macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Maybe so..... there does seem to be a broad range of opinion, tending toward the extremes on either side. Let's see if the poll bares that out.

I doubt that posters think that, as individuals, they will change anyone's mind in an instant, but cumulatively voices can contribute to changes in public opinion.

I don't understand why some posters feel the need to knock a thread or a poll started by someone else.

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

What's with the first poll question? "Beyond two terms" would require a constitutional amendment.

8. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

My opinion on Brexit changed because of internet posters.

I went from a Stay to a Leave because I got sick of the constant belittling and name calling by the Stay Campaigners towards anyone who didn't agree with them...

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

a little trip down memory lane folks... and to think the MSM convinced the prime time viewing public, Hillary had the WH locked in.

10. Micky Do, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018

Micky Do

Yes, it would require an amendment to the relatively recent 22nd Amendment to the US Constitution (approved by Congress in 1947; ratified by the requisite 36 out of 48 States in 1951)........

Such an amendment has been done by several countries in relatively recent times (albeit with greater ease for the average despot), which has not gone unnoticed in certain quarters.......!

On the other side of the poll, while prematurely terminating a US presidency can still be legitimately achieved more quickly and easily than altering the constitution, it is still a lengthy, convoluted and rather unlikely process.

11. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Not sure which quarters you mean, but Donald Trump can forget about becoming Prez for Life. He and his pack of self-serving agenda-ridden cronies in that White House are on borrowed time already. The chance of an amendment permitting him a third term declines in direct proportion to every day he spends in the Oval Office in his first term alone. He's done enough damage to the American way of life to warrant being tossed out unceremoniously by either political party any time after January of next year, impeachment being an inherently political creature... and that's only if Mueller gives him a break and hands everything off to various states to pick up after Trump leaves office. I can see why Trump might like to stay in office ad infinitum in that case. :D

CountdownContinues.jpg

13. Micky Do thread starter macrumors 68000

Micky Do

• President Donald Trump joked Thursday that the US should extend presidents' term limits, allowing him to stay in office longer than eight years.
    • Trump then referenced a dinner in March when he quipped that the US should allow a president to serve for life, like China.
    • "You know the last time I jokingly said that the papers start saying, 'He's got despotic tendencies,'" Trump said
    http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-term-length-limits-despotic-tendencies-2018-4

14. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Hey, so long as he understands we take his jokes about this stuff at face value, he won't be disappointed to leave office "on time" at the very latest.

15. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

16. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

The media is polarized, but I don't recall past presidents picking fights with various factions of society like Trump has. He also seems to feel the need to respond as forcefully as possible, and when he doesn't, it's usually going against the norms of society (for example, his "good people on both sides" comment when it came to white supremacy groups... Nazis are pretty much the one group of people that society has agreed deserves the label of "evil," but he still struck a diplomatic tone).

I admit that when he first started running I had some hopes; the racist things that started coming out of his campaign were unpleasant, but I still had some hopes that he'd legitimately not be bound to anyone, and that he'd do what needed to be done to fix things up (if for no other reasons than to have his name written about fondly in history books). We're not getting that. He doesn't seem to care to understand details, and is just saying things to try and elevate himself and curry favor with his base of supporters. He's going for the cheap wins, things that will earn him praise from a group that would likely be blindly praising him anyway, and he's taking a hostile tone toward anything else to further stoke passion in that base.

The one thing I really despise about his presidency is the amount of hypocrisy it has exposed in the country. People said that Obama was the most divisive president of all time - a statement I'd like to think was made because they truly wanted unity - and yet those people elected and are silent about our most polarizing political figure in decades. The Republicans have talked about smaller government and the rule of law, but they've done nothing to cut down the budget (which isn't new; they're only about financial responsibility when they're the minority party), and they're doing nothing as our top law enforcement agencies are being trashed by the President in what is clearly an effort to discredit anything that might come up in an unfavorable light against him. They're doing nothing as officials brought in by the President are clearly violating ethical norms.

Can things turn around? I'm always hopeful, but at this point, I doubt it. I think that the bumbling we've seen thus far will continue through the rest of the term. If he's elected to a second term then perhaps things might change a bit, but I doubt that, too. He'd probably just view that as having successfully given the people what they wanted, and if so, why change it?

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

That speech is the epitome of doubletalk and projection. He is everything he decries in that speech, and his administration is out for itself and peer cronies, not "for the people". Live and learn. Or so one might hope his base will do before the 2020 elections if he's still around and runs for another term.

18. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Apologies if I came off knocking the poll.

I was just commenting that pretty much the same people post here and most everyones politics are known :).

19. Micky Do, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

Micky Do

Many a true word is spoken in jest.....

Though, let's face it, The Donald is not really known his humour or his truthfulness!

20. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I don't care how good any president is. I would never vote for a candidate (after serving two terms as president) if they could run for a third term.

Congress also really needs a two term limit.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I’ve definitely changed my mind on a whole series of political topics.

I’m less sports teamy for a start.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

1) his policy hasn't been that bad, he's definitely shaking things up a bit

2) his tweeting has been obnoxious at times

3) Trump collusion with Russia is starting to look like a pipedream for the left so Trump will hang the left with it in 2020 especially after red scare ****.

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Trump as president is like leaving the tub water running and the stove on, leaving the house, and expecting your cat to make sure they get turned off.

It’s not a presidency, it’s a bad lab experiment.

24. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Even if Trump was marginally competent (he’s not), the naked corruption alone should be disqualifying for anyone with a modicum of ethical standards. We have a president who refused to set up any real firewalls between himself and his business holdings while those businesses are looking for and getting numerous concessions from foreign governments (governments that are then coincidentally getting concessions from the White House). All of this while his hotel in DC has become a de facto money laundering operation for lobbyists and foreign governments. It’s obscene.

25. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Maybe some pot stirring has been needed. Ever consider that?