[Poll] To 2012 MBP owners, do you have a yellow/other tint color on your screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colloc, Aug 3, 2012.

1. colloc, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

colloc macrumors member

To 2012 MBP owners, do you have a yellow/other tint color on your screen?

Since lots of people are having yellow/other color tinted screen on their latest 2012 series MBP (non retina + retina alike), it would be nice to know how common this is (*comment edited out*)

Personally I have a yellow tinted MBP, but I decided not to exchange it since I read that a/ there's a high % the replacement will also be yellow tinted and b/ some replacement units have dead/stuck pixels.

Would love to know your story on this too!

Did you get a replacement or a refund for your 2012 MBP? Was you the lucky one getting a perfect white replacement unit? How many times have replaced yours because of this issue?

:apple:

2. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

Idk I can't really tell, then again im not as OCD as some of the other members I have read about on here. I noticed some backlight bleeding but that is only when the brightness is completely turned down

3. derangedcow macrumors newbie

You'd be surprised how your room environment affects the way you perceive color. Have you tried viewing multiple machines side by side? Or did you accidentally click on a different color profile? Perhaps you can even try calibrating your own color profile to offset the yellow...

4. colloc thread starter macrumors member

You bet I did everything I could. I placed it side by side with my LCD TV and even my tiny Sony xperia phone, and the yellowish tint was apparent as night and day.

The "whitest" point that my screen can display is kinda yellowish, no matter what I do with color calibration. It's like all other colors are perfect, except for white color. If you search for some other threads on this issue, some users have posted their comparision images up. You'll see how apparent it is!

Other than that it works just fine though.

5. bajaracing macrumors member

Mines a slight pale yellowish tint. But i dont mind. Love the notebook.

6. colloc thread starter macrumors member

If you can't really tell then probably yours is a good one! The ones that are yellow tinted are noticeable within a few days of usage, especially when you start to look elsewhere and the eyes start to correct the white point again to the 'right white.' Most of us get OCD though because we pay so much for our Macbook, so I wouldn't blame them!

7. playsontheleft macrumors regular

When I'm really looking for it and comparing against another Mac as well as white paper and an iPhone 4, I think mine has a vague pink tint to it. Could be just me though since this seems a rare issue. Aside from that, I think my screen is perfect and it hardly bothers me at all so I'm unlikely to want it replaced.

8. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

Sorry didn't mean to come off rude, I just wanted to point out that there are flaws in just about everything, some more than others, no matter how much you pay (take Toyota for example). If your truly not happy then you should return it. Just be aware you could be swapping on problem for another.

9. colloc thread starter macrumors member

You are right! That is why I still keep mine ;) peace :apple:

10. derangedcow macrumors newbie

If it's as bad as you say it is, then use your macbook pro exclusively in warmly lit rooms :) No, but that is something to think of about how much you will notice the tint in cooler lit environments.

If you spoke with an AppleCare representative or a Genius, they would tell you no it does not work "just fine" because it "shouldn't be" yellow. Quoting from the new macbook pro page, "Whites are whiter."

So if you do decide to send it back, maybe wait a few weeks so they'll be stocked up with more displays instead of having to rush you a new one. I think they add 90 more days to your warranty too?