HomePod Poll: What are the main reasons you haven't bought a HomePod?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by ActionableMango, Apr 4, 2019.

Tags:
?

What's the reason you haven't bought a HomePod? (Up to 3 choices)

1. No bluetooth input

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. No auxiliary input jacks

17 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. Siri isn't good enough

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. Price (FYI it was just lowered to $299 MSRP)

42 vote(s)
    55.3%
  5. Apple's walled garden / lack of integration with third party apps

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  6. Can't make phone calls with it

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Not enough physical controls/gestures

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  8. Lack of repairability and/or high price of repair ($279)

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Other (explain in thread)

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

This poll is for people interested in the HomePod, but there is something holding you back. Poll will let you pick up to three things, but you don't have to pick three.

2. Newtons Apple, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Right now my Echo products do what I want. I can adjust all three of the Heating and AC zones.

Home automation has a long way to go after reading here. Apple promised a big leap in Siri's tech and so far I have not seen it.

No need for HomePod for music as I have a house full of Sonos!

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Lack of flexibility with non-Apple devices as I live in a mixed Apple and Android household and I'm still not convinced about the sound quality from the demos I've heard.

4. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

Not really in the Apple ecosystem and the Apple products I do have cannot be used easily with the HomePod. Too pricey, and Siri is not very good. If you could plug them in and use them as regular speakers I would be more interested, but not by much.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

I simply do not want that type of tech in my house.

6. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

For me, no bluetooth, no aux input, and too tightly integrated into Appleland. Over the years I've seen a gap growing between what I need my tech to do and where Apple is going and so I don't want Apple to have that kind of control over what I do with my devices.

HomePod audio sounds great and is visually appealing and if Apple addressed those issues, I'd buy one...probably two. But as it is, I won't buy one, and although Sonos is very popular, it doesn't do it for me, and so I'm left with a cheaper, interim, distributed solution... Google Home Mini + Chromecast Audio + IKEA Eneby speaker.

7. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I’m not interested in a lot of the functionality ( messaging, phone calls, for example ), but I would like it to be able to natively play audiobooks. If it could do that, i’d pick one up.

8. gazwas macrumors regular

gazwas

Cost is the main issue with the Homepod and the only reason why I never jumped onboard at launch as I’m fully Apple for work and home and love Apple Music.

Once I heard the news of the price cut to under £300 I order two so I can pair them. Can’t wait until they arrive next week

9. PsykX macrumors 6502a

I have one, but I bought it second-hand at 35-40% discount.
    I wouldn't have paid the full price suggested by Apple because... Siri.
    I hope 2019 changes the course of things.

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

I'll only put Apple assistants in my house due to what I perceive as their better attitude towards privacy. I'm fully invested in Homekit (70 devices and lights) and run AppleTV 4K and HDMI as my two Homekit hubs. For Airplay music throughout the home, I run standard amps with Bose speakers (Yes, I guess I'm old school) hooked up to Ethernet-connected Airports - a network I built up over time. So the Homepod for me would essentially be a Homekit Hub with Siri, and not much else.

I simply can't justify one even at the new lower price. It's still twice as much as an Echo Plus for what amounts (for my needs) to the exact same functionality. If Apple rolls out a small form factor version for $150 I might be interested.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

• Price
    • Already have several Amazon Echos (one original, one Show, two Spots, two Dots)
    • Already have a Sonos Beam
    • Siri/HomeKit isn’t compatible with all of my smart home gear (my Lutron & Hue are, but my Nest gear is not)

12. resm macrumors 6502

resm

until now they are not even available in Singapore.

13. strangerAir macrumors newbie

strangerAir

For me it’s always been the price. We have a couple of echo pluses in the house but they are used by the offspring for music and light control. My only use/interest would be music. I’ve played with the HomePod in the Apple store and love it’s looks and sound quality. I’m sure I’ll own one (or two) by the end of the year

14. Mike75 macrumors member

Already have a sonos in pretty much every room in the house, plus a couple of google home minis. Homepod would be superfluous.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

16. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Price was the reason for me. But, I’m heading to Costco in a minute to pick one up to try. They’re going for $279, $269 at Sam’s but I’d rather get it from Costco for extra warranty and easier returns if I don’t like it.

17. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

$249 at Best Buy today.

18. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Thanks! Bought open box items, $229 each.

19. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

I seriously don't see the point of it. I have speakers. I have iOS devices and macOS devices that respond to "Hey Siri". I don't need a $300 speaker that ONLY connects to iOS / macOS devices.

20. robjulo macrumors 65816

Simple....Sonos is a much, much better option.....not even really debatable at this point with the Alexa integration of Apple music and Airplay 2.

21. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

So I picked up a HomePod for under $200 and no tax - even that seems too much for what it can do. I'll keep it as I slowly build out my HomeKit kit. However, I was just messing around with Siri Shortcuts on it today - Jesus it can't do ANYTHING without unlocking the iPhone - plain useless. At least it doesn't keep a recording of my voice - unlike El Goog or Samazon...

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

This. My house if full of Sonos speakers which were bought from resellers. They're expandable, they operate on a private Wi-Fi network in my house, some of them sound MUCH better than HomePod, and they now support Google Home and Airplay. There just is no reason to go with HomePod over an expandable Sonos setup.

23. Truckondo macrumors regular

I’m using Sonos. 2 Amps are driving my outdoor speakers and it has been working great. I also have a Play 1 in the garage when I’m in there wrenching.

24. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

You’re in luck. The audioOS update coming with iOS 13 will play audiobooks.

25. sdarren7 macrumors newbie

Still not available in singapore. The rollout of the homepod is so slow. Not like there is shortage of stocks.