Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Screen Size do you Want?

• 3.5": I'm happy as it is

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 4.0": A bit more screen real-estate would be nice

Votes: 64 44.4%
  • 4.3": The iPhone could use a significant jump in screen size

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • More than 4.3": More screen is better than less!

Votes: 25 17.4%

• Total voters

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
USA
I'm very curious about what people are wanting screen size-wise in the next generation iPhone.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I vote 4.3", in the 4:3 form factor to be specific. I had an EVO and loved the screen size. I believe there is 0% of it happening but it's what I would prefer. I'm betting on 4".

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm indifferent, but obviously a 3.5" form factor can impact and limit other design aspects.

Like a bigger battery to fuel LTE, or an HD retina display on a phone, which would make everything tiny on a 3.5" display.

Though, If the next iPhone is 3.5", I would have no problem with it. I like the smaller designs feel in the hand quite a bit after the Sprint GSII which I regarded as too big.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I love the current 3.5". I'll live with 4" any more than that I would be shocked to see.

I've said from day one I want the new phone to retain the 4S size and form factor...I know it ain't gonna happen but I'm still dreaming. :D

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I can't wait to see if 3.5 inch adherents who say it shouldn't get any bigger will stick to their word and refuse to get an iPhone with a bigger screen. Oh what a day that will be.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I can't wait to see if 3.5 inch adherents who say it shouldn't get any bigger will stick to their word and refuse to get an iPhone with a bigger screen. Oh what a day that will be.

Not going to happen. No matter what they said, they will buy the next 4" screen or 4.3" screen and those same people will say it is perfect.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Unfortunately it doesn't matter what any of us think, or desire.

Apple is a dictatorship. That's not bashing them, it's just a fact & the voice of experience as a long term Apple enthusiast & customer.

Since Apple rarely gives me a choice, I use all kinds of different platforms & systems as well as Apple. :)

My preference in display size for a smartphone, based on experience & my needs (not just wants) as a heavy user, is between 4.5 & 4.8". If Apple makes the rumored change to 4.0" I'll pass. My small iPhone 4S is fine as a secondary smartphone, the slot it occupies now.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010

Apple is a dictatorship. That's not bashing them, it's just a fact & the voice of experience as a long term Apple enthusiast & customer.

Since Apple rarely gives me a choice, I use all kinds of different platforms & systems as well as Apple. :)

My preference in display size for a smartphone, based on experience & my needs (not just wants) as a heavy user, is between 4.5 & 4.8". If Apple makes the rumored change to 4.0" I'll pass. My small iPhone 4S is fine as a secondary smartphone, the slot it occupies now.

I've heard a few people talk about secondary smartphones. Is it work and personal phones or do you pay for two smart phones?

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010

Yea I will still say 3.5 is better. And they should have stayed with it. But I will buy the new iPhone b/c it's the new iPhone. Period. I buy the newest iPhone regardless.

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
USA

I agree with you 100%. Most companies are though :p

I was very curious, regardless, to see what everybody else wanted, what with the market being saturated with "huge" phones.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Why do you care? Haven't you moved on the greener android pastures.

Age old saying: android users care far more about Apple than Apple users care about android.

You'll never see me speculate about the screen size of any android phone. I literally don't give a rats ass.

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I'm just speculating here... but... let's see, we're on the 5th generation so the next one would be... never mind. I give up. I have no clue how he came to that deduction.

I wasn't aware people considered the "s" models as an entire generation, especially with the minuscule changes from the 3G to 3GS. I'm assuming even you can follow along with that explanation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.