Poll: What type of screen do you prefer on the MacBook (Glossy or Matte)

Discussion in 'MacPolls.com Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

After using the two, going back to a matte screen from a glossy reminds me of going to a crt from lcd. My school laptop (Dell :(), has a kind of half and half finish on it. I still love the MacBook.

2. travvy49423 macrumors newbie

My hesitations...

My main concern with a glossy screen is glare. Isn't this a problem?

3. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I love the glossy, not perfect in florsent light.........

i cant wait untill we get the option to have it on desktops:)

4. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I like glossy..but...it makes it much harder to look at someone's screen from a wierd angle, showing something no doubt more interesting than what's in front of yourself :)

The contrast is better but be careful in direct sunlight (not that I get much in England :( ) or really bright places.

5. dondark macrumors member

I love glossy, but why so many ppl choose matte?

6. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

How weird-- I'm surprised matte is outvoting glossy...

I first saw the glossy display a few years ago in Japan at the Laox Mac store and brought back overlays for my Powerbook G4 along with 2 more in anticipation of having displays to affix them to: one for a 23" Cinema and one for a 12" Powerbook we'd planned on getting for my wife.

It's nice that Apple is giving the option now-- installing those filters were a major pain.

7. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Maybe because so many people are lazy to make a tiny angle adjustment to the screen? I don't know but I, too, love glossy screens. I leaves my sister's old matte screen in the dust compared to my glossy one. :D

Yea I'm surprised too. Usually brighter colors mean better picture, etc. I guess I may be wrong but a vote is a vote.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I haven't been able to use either one myself, but from just looking at them the glossy screen sure does seem to have a nice, rich look to it above the matte display. And as for glare, um, can't you just make a slight viewing angle adjustment to rectify that? :confused:

9. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I've grown to like the glossy screen after going from an iBook to MacBook. I love the richer color and the fact that I can actually read the screen outdoors on a sunny day (provided I don't reflect the sun in my eyes).

10. jobberwacky macrumors member

Not if Diebold is collecting them:D

11. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

It's a pain to be a couple of persons and watch a DVD on a glossy MacBook.
    It's really a one person only screen, but using it as such is fine but not spectacular.

12. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Matte, as I've had my days with a glossy CRT screen ruin my vision (eye strain) and cause distractions (stuff going on behind me).

It's a minor issue having colors more vibrant on glossy.

13. ibook4a macrumors member

I prefer the glossy..... I just think it looks better. :rolleyes:

14. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

If you're a color-minded professional, you know that a matte screen is the only way to go. If you're doing work that will end up in print, you don't want supersaturated colors, because they won't show up in the final product anyway. You certainly don't want glare interfering with your color perception.

I guess if you're going to watch a DVD in the dark, glossy's cool. But, that's what televisions are for.

15. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I`ll second that. Initially i really loved the glossy display on my MB comparing to the dull iBook screen. It looks really fantastic when you see it from a distance and/or doing stuff like watching video or photos. But reading text on this machine gives me way more headache than iBook ever did. I can remember using iBook for hours and not feeling as much eye strain as i get by using MB for an hour of surfing.

My vote goes definitely for matte now. It might not look as delicious as the Glossy one but I know matte will be much better for my eyes in the long run. I m now thinkin of replacing my MB with the new C2D MBP with a matte screen. All I need to do now is find someone studying in USA and coming to India some time soon........

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Matte all the way.

I used the MacBooks and I can say that I don't like the glossy screen. It's too reflective even if you adjust the screen. And I just prefer the way that the matte screen looks compared to the glossy screen.

17. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Ditto!

18. shecky Guest

shecky

as i have said on one of the other 39 threads about this, i think that glossy is horrible. its like Lindsay Lohan; nice looking at first, but sloppy and freaky when you really look at it.

i think the glare is bad, and even if there was no glare, the way it makes everything look wet and hypersaturated is really annoying. its like the display equivalent of the bottom reflection on all the web 2.0 crap you see these days.

19. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'm glad MR did this poll. I'm having such a dilmea deciding. I feel people are so used to matte that the thought of glossy is a scary one so people shy away from it. I voted don't know because whenever I've seen Sony's glossy laptops i've always thought wow. After using a MacBook I love the colour reproduction and the reflections have never really been a problem... but then i've never used the laptop in say a glass building or by a window with a lot of light. Arghhh... i don't know.

20. 59031 macrumors regular

21. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My sister has a glossy screen on her laptop and I don't like it much, too much glare and it supersaturates the colors which isn't good because I'm going into graphic design.

22. cwt1nospam macrumors 6502a

Glossy is fine if you aren't in bright light, but if the sun is shining, give me matte.

23. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Nice one!!! :D

24. thias macrumors newbie

thias

"Don't Know" is quite a few too. I voted "Don't Know" and today I had to go to an Apple reseller to compare. Honestly, I have no strong preference. But matte is not on option on the MacBook that I'd like, so that helps. Thanks Steve. :)