Poll: Would you buy/not buy the Nike edition this time...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squirrrl, Sep 13, 2018.

?

Are not buying/not buying a Nike Series 4 because of Nikes recent ad campaign?

1. I will no longer support Nike versions because of this

20 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. I am more likely to buy the Nike version now

44 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. I like the Nike version better and don't care about this controversy

30 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. I wasn't going to buy the Nike version always

28 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Interested because of the very subtle discussion on another thread. I personally didn't even think of this until someone mentioned it.

2. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Usually buy last years designs at the outlet store at a discount. This is not exclusive to Nike. New Balance, Adidas, or whatever looks and fits good.

3. squirrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

oops.. last choice should read anyways... not always... stupid autocorrect.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'll be looking to spend my money elsewhere. Reebok, Adidas, New Balance, etc. will get my money.

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

6. squirrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

in response to your signature... yes.. Apple pencils misspell words. :p

7. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

The pencils don't.. apple's autocorrect does that!

8. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Companies getting involved in politics have consequences. To have a broad and diverse customer base it's best to abstain from it all together. perhaps Nike saw that what they did appealed more to their minority customers, indicating they're more likely to buy the newest and most expensive brands of their shoes and other wearable's. Doesn't really mean Nike really cares about the current state of politics, it just means they want to make more money off people who feel strongly about the issue. Otherwise they would've released a press statement on their website, that didn't have a link to a pair of 300 dollar shoes.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't want an Apple Watch or iPhone, but if I did, I would definitely buy the Nike edition now.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So basically here, Chik-Fil-a, In-N-Out, Hobby Lobby, and the like are just wanting to make money off of people who feel strongly about an issue? Yet we hear about how those entities are right (or wrong) about their stance. Would you not agree?

BL.

11. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I do have to look past many things that apple does. Other companies haven't fared so well. I refuse to step foot in or buy from Dick's Sporting Goods. I won't buy Nike. Never was a fan of the NFL so that was east.

As for Nike and Krapernick. If you are American you STAND and RESPECT your flag. If you have an issue with something or someone you find another way to protest. You don't protest the flag!

12. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Nice try. You're conflating the two. Donating to a political party is a lot different than marketing products based on a political controversy. Apples and Oranges.

13. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Not to mention In-n-Out donated money to BOTH parties.... but the liberals can't stand to allow anyone else to have a thought or opinion that doesn't agree with theirs.

Liberals are all about getting their 1st amendment rights... as long as you agree with them you're fine.... but if you disagree, then they shut you down, get in your face, don't allow you to post on suckbook or screwtube.

14. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

I'm glad to see some Californians are waking up to how terrible the Democrat party leaders have been acting.

15. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Just because the Right doesn't like Nike right now doesn't mean the Left should automatically love them.

The ongoing sweatshop conditions brought up in the late 90's are still endured by Nike's workforce today.

https://thinkprogress.org/meet-the-...-wages-beatings-and-humiliation-e9afae6c4a7e/

Nike isn't suddenly woke because they threw millions at an already rich celebrity sports figure instead of the poor people who actually make their products.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wrong. Chik-Fil-A was vehemently against LGBTQ, and still actively bankrolls those causes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A_same-sex_marriage_controversy
    https://thinkprogress.org/chick-fil-a-still-anti-gay-970f079bf85/

Hobby Lobby and birth control ring a bell? It should, to the point where they went all the way to SCOTUS about it to deny that as an option with healthcare for their employees.

http://time.com/2941323/supreme-court-contraception-ruling-hobby-lobby/

Again, their actions have consequences, and as you say, they are doing it just to get the money from people who shop there. Do you not agree?

You can't have consequence without opposite consequence also being legitimate.

People died in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Corregidor, Normandy, Omaha, Galipoli, and many other places so I can have the 1A right to say what I want to say, without retribution from the government. That includes whether one prefers to stand or sit down or take a dump during the anthem or when the flag is raised.

You don't have the 1A right to be offended by it. Hell, we've even had it affirmed by SCOTUS that burning the flag is a 1A protected right. We sure as hell can protest the flag, because that is a right, and the biggest basis for the foundation of this country: The right to speak our minds without any retribution from the government or any entity in which we live our lives.

And yet you want to talk about liberals only letting others have their 1A right when it fits their agenda or narrative. Pot. Kettle. BLACK.

BL.

17. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Right!? unfortunately I think it's only going to get worse if gruesome gets elected. it's disgusting to live in a state where the illegals have more rights than the citizens of the state and country... and where the politicians outright say they don't care what the constitution says, they are going to do their own thing! and the 9th circus.... don't get me stated on those clowns!

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It might be, but then if you live in the USA that is not the case.

19. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Uhm.... I do live in the USA and illegals DO have more rights in the crap state I live in (and you're state is just as bad! I'd say kommiforia, NJ and NY have some of the worst politicians getting voted in!

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Then you actually have an even bigger problem: Illegal immigrants have Constitutionally protected rights throughout the entire United States Of America. They are entitled to and are granted:

• Their 1st Amendment Right.
    • Their 3rd Amendment Right.
    • Their 4th Amendment Right.
    • Their 5th Amendment Right.
    • Their 6th Amendment Right.
    • Their 14th Amendment Right.
    All of this, affirmed by SCOTUS back in the early 2000s. And seeing that that was a Conservative bench that affirmed those, I await for you to get started on those "clowns."

BL.

21. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

You're missing the whole point entirely. There's nothing wrong with making political donations for a cause you feel strongly for, both Dems and Repubs do this all the time. You cannot directly compare these, because NIKE didn't donate to the Democratic Party. They are marketing a product lineup based on political controversy. These are completely different things.

Companies making political donations, vs companies marketing their own products is not apples to apples. Chik-Fil-A and In-N-Out didn't come out with a product line of MAGA burgers and GOP chicken bites. Cmon man.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And the cups that In-n-Out serve (which their religious views are on the products they market), and not being open on Sundays are not marketing of their own products?

C'mon, man.

BL.

23. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Do you deny them their religious freedoms? Oh, how dare they be able to stay closed on Sundays, so they can make more profits, c'mon man...

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Do you deny a company any of their 1A rights?

I mean, Citizens United, and all.

BL.

25. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

I think you're going off topic, as a lot of us are starting to do. Lets focus on NIKE.