Polling the Value of Human Life

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Nov 19, 2010.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Chilling news article from Minnesota. This article makes me sick to my stomach... but I'm curious if it has the same affect on some of the pro-choice advocates in this forum. Thoughts? The website seems to be down as of now... not sure it was taken down or if the couple decided to take it down?

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyl...s:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKUzyaP37D_ncyD_2yckUr

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This is ridiculous.

What's bad is that this will be what people on the right will point to as an example of a typical woman considering abortion. Reality is very different from this example.

I'm sure there may be a few people in similar situations, but I have a hard time believing that most women who choose abortion do so as a last resort. Either their mental health, physical health or life all but require the choice. If that were not the case, the mental hardship many women face would not happen.

But hey, I'm not a woman, so not only do I not have the capacity to really understand, it's not my choice to make anyway.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Absurd.

I can certainly understand the emotional issues over previous miscarriages but 17 weeks into a pregnancy? Just another balloon-boy-wanna-be pair of *******s.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Putting it to a vote is what is really ridiculous.

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think it's fake - they're either trying to use the publicity to earn $ from adsense or (from what I've read on other sites) working for a church

6. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

17 weeks in is a bit late to wonder if you want to have a kid... Thought should have gone into getting pregnant before it happened... If you're not ready, don't do it...

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The abstinence brigade? :confused:

How about "use protection until you want a kid"

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The only bright spot from that article.

9. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

By "it" I didn't mean don't have sex, I was thinking of more use protection..

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Agreed. If it isn't a pure publicity play I'd be very surprised. I'm assuming the paper validated that she was actually pregnant.

:rolleyes:

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why are you curious if it has the same affect on some of the pro-choice advocates?

Are you implying that if we don't likewise feel as queasy as you then something must be wrong with us... like we are absent any core values, which are apparently located in our stomachs?

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Am I wrong? I've heard stories of women who got late term abortions, and they weren't just doing it because they were confused or weren't sure. They were desperate. I know this is far earlier in the pregnancy, but it's still not typical for a woman who is considering abortion to be wishy-washy about the idea. It's a big, big decision, and not one considered for "little" reasons.

I've heard people on the right talk about abortion as a controceptive, but I really don't know how common that is (even very early in a pregnancy).

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A conservative wailing about the value of human life? Just remember that the only time they have this discussion is when it's about a fetus.

They care nothing for wasting human lives in needless wars or lives lost due our health care system. Those lives are apparently entirely expendable.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They don't specify what losing weight has to do with anything. :confused:

Perhaps, if she is morbidly obese, her body is saying each time "No thanks."

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Your statement was that "the right" will generalize this as a "typical woman considering abortion." What makes you so sure of that? Why is it important to the question in the original post?

Indeed, for the majority of women I'd imagine this isn't something taken lightly - but I cannot speak from experience (meaning involvement in the situation). I'm assuming you can?

I've heard a lot of people say a lot of things, but uncited references don't make for a very solid argument. Just makes it argumentative.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

From Andrew Sullivan, some reactions:

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, would it have been better to say those opposed to the right to choose will generalize this... ?

I know people who have considered abortion, but I'm not a woman, so I don't know for sure what they were going through internally.

Google abortion as contraception. It's not hard.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Nothing more than a wind up job for the entire debate. An Internet version of the Jerry Springer Show.

Best thing to do with these two is simply ignore them and their publicity-seeking nonsense.

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't see why you needed to say anything at all. If it happens, then refute their logic, don't put words in their mouths as it doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Why do I have to research your arguments?

It's interesting to see some thoughtful discussion on the subject.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Good detective work.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't see why you felt the need to say anything at all either, but hey, that's your right.

I merely said I had heard people make an argument/statement; I made no argument for or against it. It was merely background for why I would say I don't know how common that might be.

22. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

All of them?

I don't think so.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Had to outsource to attempt to define what's possibly going on here. Not going to be baited into arguing the ins and outs of a couple of grifters on a weird search for validation and notoriety, as if their stunt represents the basis for a discussion on reproductive rights. It's pitiful.

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Then they aren't libertarians.