Polls, Statistics, and Killing the Messenger

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Nov 5, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In probably my last thread of the election season, I came across this while reading the Princeton Election Consortium (Thanks to NathanMuir for the link!):

Following the trail, I read Krugman's entire post. With that, we have:

On a lot of different fronts, Krugman is right. Those on the right tend to deal with the issue by shooting the messenger instead of the message. To use other analogies, "discredit the other to hide their own imperfections", "blame the liberal media", or for those of you into old school rap, "Beat up Grandmaster Flash instead of working to fix the problems in your 'hood".

In short, because you have no facts to counter the message, or don't want to do the right thing and work harder, you take the easy way out and belittle the messenger because the message doesn't look to go your way.

That seems to be the tale of the tape over the past 3 - 5 years, and I wonder when that is going to change. It seems that there are so few Temperance Brennans in the world who can back up their statements with facts and stats, than those who get on a soapbox with baseless claims (read: Romney's claim with Benghazi, Chrysler/GM moving jobs to China, death panels, etc.), and I wonder if this is going to be the new norm.

I seriously hope not.

BL.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, you knew this was coming, didn't you? Republicans don't deal well with facts that contradict what they "know" inside the bubble. I'm surprised it's taken this long for the laser dot to appear on Nate Silver's back.

I predict that by the next presidential election, the polling business will have its own version of Fox: a new, GOP-generated polling company whose business will be to massage the stats to show the Republican candidate always ahead, and whine that the rest of the polls are biased.