Pompeo secretly met with Kim Jong Un

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Apple OC, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Apple OC, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I find it funny how the Trump-types who think that considering maybe starting discussions with NK is some huge accomplishment and simultaneously dismiss Obama’s actual deal with Iran that prevented them from developing nuclear weapons.

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Getting North Korea to come to the table is a good thing. I'm not saying you have to vote for Trump in 2020 and put a bumper sticker on your car. Don't worry. This is a good thing. That's all.

5. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

actually, Obama's Iran deal gives Iran a concrete path to nuclear weapons ... just delays it a few years.

Pallets of unmarked cash dropped in the middle of the night helps too ... I thought only guys like ElChapo did those kinda cash drops.

Do you know of any legal payment done with pallets of unmarked cash ... by anyone in the world?

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It would be quite an accomplishment of Trump to sort out this situation. I detest the man, but it looks like this might actually work. The alternative is a nightmare, so let us hope it goes OK. Nobody wants to see a war in Korea again. The people of both Koreas have suffered quite enough already.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

All signs are looking good but let's see if there is follow through.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

No sitting president has been willing to sit with NK with zero in return for a reason. For Kim Jong Un this is a win in every way, he will not give up his nuclear plan, they will NEVER allow open inspections so even if they "claim" they've stopped it there's no chance of verification. Trump is getting played.

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

You might be right. But then what?

10. raqball macrumors 68000

Yeah, the man could pull a child from a burning car and the headlines and the title of a thread here at MR would be 'Trump watches car burn'.

Meh.......

This is a good thing and I hope it sticks. No president has came this close to getting NK to stop their quest for nuclear weapons. As a matter of fact, all the previous presidents got played like a piano by NK.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I don't see any harm but I guess I would ask what the point is, he has nothing to gain while propping Kim Jong Un up. All past presidents used a meeting as incentive for the NK regime, quid pro quo - give something tangible up and then we'll come to the table, something to this day they've never done.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Regrettably true. I suppose in all fairness Trump has the advantage that it is now clear what NK's rulers were up to. Let's see where this actually goes, but I am hopeful. Moreover, if this fails, I suspect the responsibility will rest with NK and not Trump.

13. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Trump is no closer to getting NK to stop than any other president, for the record. Talking to them has gotten nothing done, ever. IF they give something up it would be huge and they've claimed they would stop their program forever now and have never done it.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

How well has that tactic worked? It hasn't which is why were where we are with NK. Shake it up and try something different.

There are signs this might work, maybe. Kin Jong Un went to China, his 1st trip outside the country. He said said he wants to talk about denuclearization ect. Could this be the same ol same ol from them? Sure but why not wait and see as what's been tried in the past has not worked..

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Seems the downside is nothing changes.
    One possible benefit is getting to see exactly what the US is up against face to face. And maybe somewhere down the line being able to say “we tried.”

16. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

"Come this close?" By simply agreeing to talk? Clinton actually got a deal with North Korea, but they broke it.

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

We get it. You hate Trump. Can’t you sit this one out so people with objective opinions can actually have a conversation?

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I'll concede that point.

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Ha! Thinking that Trump has actually accomplished anything here is not an "objective opinion" (whatever that's supposed to be).

20. raqball, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

Not going to happen.. Sadly, this stuff happens in every thread and it's close to impossible for those of us interested in a topic to discuss it..

I wonder how they were able to keep this meeting a secret though

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I enjoy these moments on macrumors. You and I won’t agree on much but here we are. :)

22. raqball macrumors 68000

Hopefully Trump and Co have learned from all the past mistakes when dealing with nations like NK and Iran.
    • Clintons failed NK deal
    • Obama's joke of an Iran deal
    • Bush's failed NK policies.
    What I think needs to happen:
    • A commitment to complete denuclearization
    • A commitment to open, on demand, unfettered inspections
    • Destruction of all currently held material
    • Destruction of any and all means to produce nuclear weapons
    If any of those fail, then tougher sanctions need to be considered, implemented and enforced to the hilt. Naval blockade? Limited military strikes?

Something needs to happen before this nut launches a nuclear missile at Seattle, LA, NYC, or another major US City..

23. 0007776 Suspended

Talking is better than war, so I won’t complain that he’s doing it. But the North Koreans have made no concessions, so Trump is no closer to solving the issues than anyone else. He is closer to giving the North a propaganda win at home though.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Let them have their win at home, we've had sixty years of no real progress so lets try something new.

25. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

That's part of the reason I started this thread... I actually enjoy Trump hate for pure entertainment value.

The denuclearization of the Korean peninsula will be the holy grail for Trump haters.