Poor Genius/Customer Service experience (long) -- resolved!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psac, Aug 18, 2014.

1. psac, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I have a launch day iPhone 5, and my battery has had problems for a while now, many of which are consistent with the large thread on bad launch day 5 batteries. I don't have AC+, but I did call my credit card, and they said they would cover it under extended warrantee with the Genius report saying the battery was faulty (I would pay and they reimburse the $79.)

So I made an appointment for yesterday for the Staten Island, NY, store, and I brought in the phone. After checking in, I waited 20 minutes to actually see someone. They ran the diagnostics, showed the battery was far red (past serviceable life), and said they would make sure they would show that on the report, and it would take 30-45 minutes to replace. Except for the 20 minute wait, all good so far.

I had other things to do, so I left and came back two hours later. The check-in person tells me the phone isn't ready yet. (WTF?) I tell him it's been two hours, and show him the service receipt, and he radios to the back to get an update with the name on the receipt... which isn't mine! I didn't even notice when I first got it. So that's odd. He sends me to wait for someone to go check. After 3 people and about 10 minutes, someone finally tells me there's a problem with the phone registration, and they can't fix it. I ask to speak to the manager, and he says for some reason, the system shows that the phone was previously replaced because of a prior issue, and should be out of service. He says it's a "database issue", and the wrong name on the receipt is part of the whole issue, and that they're investigating, and should take 3-4 days to work it out and they'll contact me to bring the phone back again once it's straightened out. (Note, the phone has never been serviced until yesterday.)

I was very annoyed at the whole thing. And definitely felt that they wasted a lot of my time. I told him I wanted the issue escalated, and that when I came back, I really shouldn't have to pay for the battery if they're giving me this runaround. He said he could give me his personal discount of 10%. Woo hoo, $8 for two hours of my time between all of the back and forth driving and waiting (since next time I'll wait in person to make sure it's fixed). -- Note, even though my credit card will actually reimburse me for the battery, now it's a combination of principal, and if I'm spending all this time with Apple, at least save me the time filling out all the paperwork for the cc reimbursement!

Then when I get home, I look on my original electronic receipt for the serial number, and I happen to notice the serial number on the Genius receipt is NOT the one on my phone! One of the letters towards the end is a N (on receipt) instead of a B (on phone), and they're next to each other on the keyboard. I call the apple store back to tell them that this whole thing may be because of a typo. The number on the business card the manager gave me rings about 30+ times and never gets picked up.

I'm annoyed, so I call the customer service number from the website, and I tell the person that I wasn't happy with the service I received in the apple store, they ask for which store, and when I tell them, they're like "okay, I'll connect you to the store manager" and before I can say anything, they transfer. That doesn't help when the issue IS the store manager!

So fine, this time I actually get the manager, tell him about the wrong serial number, and the guy totally blows me off and says that's not it, he says that's the serial number the system shows my phone was replaced with, and he can't do anything about it until they fix the "database issue" and basically hangs up. (Yes, sure, one phone replaced with another from the same factory and build week.)

So now I'm REALLY annoyed, call the customer service number from Apple again, and tell the person right away that I'm having an issue with the store manager, so I need a customer service manager who can help me with the issue. They say sure, put me on hold to transfer, I wait about 5-10 mins, and the line hangs up on me.

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Coming from a household that has had an iPhone 3, two iP4s (32), two iP5s (64), iPad2 (64), rMini (64), and an Apple stockholder, I'm not a happy camper right now.

2. bobright macrumors 601

Wait, so if we are determined to have a "bad batch" of a battery on our iPhone 5 even though its long out of warranty they might replace it? Am I reading that right?

BTW sorry for your troubles hilarious story but ive actually got into a physical altercation with a genius before

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Hope you didn't get arrested.

4. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

No, normally they won't without paying for it. Generally in any customer service hierarchy there is someone who can get that charge waived. After this, I want that person! But besides that, many good credit cards in the US will double the warrantee of an item for up to 1 year. Since Apple gives a one year warrantee, credit card extends that to two years! On a launch day 5, that's good until September. But you still have to pay out of pocket, and get reimbursed if it's a covered item.

Physical altercation???

5. uwdude macrumors 6502a

That's an odd story. I think in that case I would have asked for a loaner phone, and let them keep the phone until it was straightened out. It's odd for them to give the phone back to you I think. If they had kept it, they could have fixed it when the issue was straightened out, and then just called for you to pick it up- that would make more sense. I'm wondering if there's more to this story that they're not telling you or something.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have to say this is a truly odd story. So you have your phone and technically they're saying it cannot be replaced because it was replaced previously? I think you need to e-mail customer relations and just side step the whole Apple retail store experience until you can speak to someone who has half a brain to fix this issue.

Side note: Apple does not and will never care about what you've bought from them. It doesn't seem to matter much at all in any argument/customer service issue.

7. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

Good point. I'm not sure if that would have been better or worse. I might have felt worried that they wouldn't give the phone back since supposedly I don't (or shouldn't) have it!

Again, good points. I should do exactly that. Hopefully the online folks are better than the ones in this store!

I can't actually find the email on the website, though, just the online support which is more of a tech support...

8. bobright macrumors 601

No arrests was broken up by mall security.

9. GeniusAdvisor macrumors newbie

A fight with someone over a phone? Really?

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

They generally don't do loaners. They were issued them to be used for the iPhone 5 sleep button program and only that program because they were having to ship out the customers phone.

in this case, the customer left with his phone presumably more or less in working order. Yes it sucks that someone screwed up somewhere along the way but they are making an effort to sort it out even though it was perhaps not their fault but happened at another store. My BF has run into these from time to time and there really isn't anything they can do at the store level to expedite it since they don't have access to that part of the system.

11. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

Yeah, the phone still works, I just have to charge it mid-day to get through the day (which for some people that's still the case with a new battery!) I still think the problem was just the typo when they entered my serial number into their system. I can see online that my proper serial number is registered to me with no history of repair.

Unless I actually hear back from them otherwise, I'm just going to go to a different Apple Store in NJ this weekend, and start the process from scratch and see if there's any hiccups. It'll be more inconvenient, but better than dealing with the people at this one who obviously don't know what they're doing.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Unless the issue with the serial number is resolved you will be up against the same problem at every apple store.

13. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That depends on what the issue is. If the issue is that Store A entered the serial incorrectly and is looking at the wrong history then Store B won't have a problem, assuming they enter it correctly. If the issue is that Store A entered the correct serial but someone way back with a different phone entered that one wrong then yes all stores will have that issue.

According to the BF the first scenario should be impossible because they are under orders to run their diags program for all repairs, especially battery and can't save the repair without it or an override, which managers aren't supposed to do. in general the path is open appointment in concierge, hit diags which reads the serial off the board, transfer to repair system. since it's an auto scan there's no way for them to type it wrong suggesting that either the tech or the store in general is not following best practices. just for that possibility, going to another store might be in order

----------

I would. go in, act like you didn't even have that other appointment, see what happens.

My BF looked at your story again this morning and said the same. Something is up. in particular with how they didn't seem to notice the issue until after the repair was 'in progress'. the swap alert comes up right away.

14. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

Thanks for the insight! One of the first things the guy did when he started was ask me to read him my serial number, and he typed it in, so I don't think they got it off the board like they should, unless they did that at a later stage.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If he ran the diags program like they are supposed to particularly for battery issues, the serial was correctly pulled.

16. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

17. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Classy. ;)

18. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

To close the loop on this, the whole thing definitely seemed to be a case of a mis-typed serial number. I went to a different Apple store, and coincidentally and conveniently, between the first awful visit, and the visit to the second store, Apple released the iPhone 5 battery program, which my phone fell under. So that saved me the hassle of having to deal with the extended warranty from the credit card.

The people in the second store were SUPER friendly and helpful, a total world of difference. They entered my serial number (correctly), no issues popped up, ordered me the battery (so I did have to make two trips, but that was okay), and after it arrived, replaced it with no issues whatsoever. Obviously much much happier with this visit. :apple: They also had me disable my passcode and find my phone, which the first store didn't do, which makes me again wonder what they even attempted to do.

My wife also wants to call that the manager from the other store (who, by the way, never even called to follow up on the issues he was supposedly going to get resolved), just to say "I told you so" from when we said the guy typed the serial number in wrong, and he insisted that wasn't the problem.

Happy with my new battery now.