Poor iphone 6 and 6+ battery life after carrier update ios 9.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmwils1, Dec 29, 2015.

1. jmwils1 macrumors newbie

I have noticed about a 30% reduction in battery life over the last week. Both phones were updated to 9.2 when it came out. I did agree to the carrier update about a week ago. Could a carrier update be causing poor battery life?

I am not using either phone more than normal. Battery Usage doesn't show anything unusual aside from Phone (low signal). I am on Verizon and get poor reception but it was like this both before and after the carrier update.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Bad reception will yield poor battery life. It could be even worst after an update. Sounds like you need to find another carrier that cover you better.

3. determined09, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015

determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I think I heard that Verizon doesn't do Beta testing on their carrier updates unfortunately. Verizon only does Alpha testing on their carrier updates.

4. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I did the carrier update as well and have no battery issues to report.

5. jmwils1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately for the 6+ changing carriers isn't an option since it is provided by my work. I could switch carriers on the 6 but wanted to wait until Wifi calling is available through Verizon.

6. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Don't know if it was 9.2 or the carrier update but my excellent battery is no longer excellent. I do believe it is the result of one of those 2 updates. I too see about a 2 hour reduction which isn't subtle.

7. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I loaded both updates and my battery life seems to be fine. Maybe the difficulties are location dependent?

8. jmwils1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I charged the phone to 100% and took it off the charger at 11:45 pm. I got out of bed at 7AM and it was back down to 43% without any phone calls, mail fetching, text messages or any other activity.

I think I am going to take it in to Apple or at least call them about it since I do have Apple care on it.

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Of course they are location dependent. Amazes me how many people don't understand they are using a multi frequency radio set running cellular multi channel, wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, radios that automatically increase their broadcast strength and therefore the power consumption during low or poor signal conditions.

All this happening continuously depending on apps and settings. Your phone isn't off when it sits there sleeping. For instance, System Services even checks your GPS position and broadcasts your coordinates every place you go, like what wifi sites you pass, hundreds on a drive. Traffic info, your speed, progress along routes, sent back to Apple. And that's just some of the built in stuff. Various Apps you download do the similar things.

Unless you are in airplane mode, or turn it off completely, your phone is making and receiving calls, messages, location data round the clock. Depending how you updated, are any of the dozens of setting changes you may have made been returned to default mode?

And multiple software teams, changing code independently, Apple, carrier, apps, what are the odds it won't affect some users, at some locations, with their particular setups. Even if the software update went 100% perfect on being downloaded and written to the phone.

10. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Definitely do that, just in case their is a hardware issue. With that much drop, sure sounds like something is hung up running in background continuously. Does battery in settings show anything running in background. Toggle the clock on right and it will breakdown each app's usage.

11. jmwils1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by "toggle the clock". Under Settings>Battery>battery usage there isn't anything really abnormal there.

12. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

In battery, On the line where you choose 24 hours or 7 days to right is what looks like a clock. Click that and it will break down the detailed times for each app. How long on screen and how long in background. If you see an app that may have high background times that may be a suspect, for high battery consumption.

You may know about this, some don't that's why I mention it. Provides added info.

image.jpeg

13. jmwils1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not know that - thank you. For the last 7 days the top 3 were Safari at 3.4hrs, Flipboard at 1.3hrs and Phone at 1 hr on screen times. For the last 24 hrs the phone was 26 mins on screen time. Everything else was 1min or less.

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

It's the apps running in the background that you need to be concerned about.

15. jmwils1 thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I tell what's running in the background if it isn't listed under the Battery section?

16. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Having become certain my battery life definitely took a significant hit either when I updated to 9.2 or did the carrier update, I restored my phone from backup, knowing it might not help being from a backup but I didn't feel like redoing everything.

And it worked. My battery life is back to being very good.

17. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Great to here. So something got hung up during update. Always pays to do things least obtrusive before moving on to more of a pain changes. Happy New Year

18. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I'm happy to say the restore even though from backup worked wonders, and I really didn't think it would do anything. Until I did it I was barely getting 8 hours of use, I'm getting like 12-14 now, same usage patterns.

I highly recommend trying an iTunes restore from backup if your battery isn't what it was when you first got it on 9.1.