Poor Maps app causing unforeseen issue with Siri

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c14nhl, Sep 22, 2012.

1. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I have came across a huge flaw within the Maps app that's rendering location services like Reminders and Directions useless! Previously I was able to ask Siri to remind me when I got home, or to any other address within my Contacts. Now, due to Maps not being able to find many addresses I have stored, when asking Siri to remind me when I get home for example, it can't be set as it doesn't see the address on the map.

Huge flaw in my eyes and I'm extremely disappointed as I used this method to create reminders a lot.

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

As I understand things, this is just one of many potential problems with the current MapApp- and for all its good and bad points, it's integrated into the OS.
    For example, when you click on an address in your Address Book, the MapApp will open and show you where that is. If the data is incorrect, you will get an incorrect location. And if you try to navigate from there to another place, you will be relying on the accuracy of the two locations and all of the points in between. And this has the potential to make the original bad data (if it is bad) worse.
    Additionally, developers use Apple's maps and MapKit as the framework that they build on. That will compound the issue if the MapApp is, in fact, what many people think of as 'substandard'. And MapKit is used as the framework for a variety of applications, including 'Geofencing' which is what you are basically describing- "remind me of something when I leave point x or get to point y". Things like that.
    Lots of people have posted, "Well, just download the Google Map website on Safari and use that instead".
    But it's not that simple, particularly if you are using a built in function like Address Book, and even more so if you are a developer.
    As a developer, the easiest way to create an app that relies on some level of geography is to use MapKit, and you build your data and actions on top of that.
    If developers wanted to use Google Maps instead for example, it would mean that Google would have to provide a framework for it to them to use, that developers would have to explicitly use that framework instead of MapKit and that Apple would have to approve apps using that framework.
    It would also mean that developers who have built built apps on top of MapKit for about 4 years now would have to learn the new framework and port their apps all over again.
    I recognize that this isn't EXACTLY how it works, so sophisticated developers, please don't slam the post because it simplifies things to the degree that it does. Others with a lot more experience and expertise can correct and clarify as needed.
    But the point is that the potential problems with the current MapApp in IOS6 go way beyond not being able to find an accurate location for your neighborhood Starbucks!:)

3. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Thank you for your reply.

What I'm worried about is the fact this issue won't be resolved any time soon. I've lost a feature that I found very useful, all because of the maps app changing. I'm very disappointed.

4. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I'm able to set a location reminder and get directions to places when using the actual apps, it just means I can't use Siri for this. Not the best!

5. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

What makes this more frustrating is the fact I'm able to switch the reminder on manually, selecting my home address, and it works fine. It's just the link between Siri and the app. Surely that could be fixed?