Poor screen quality on replacement? Look through polarized lenses.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Oct 4, 2012.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

When I got my first iphone 5, I was blown away by the screen. It was AMAZING. Colors popped, and everything was sharp, crisp and seemed to jump off the screen.

I had to get a replacement due to a scuff on the back, and the replacement just seems duller and not as vibrant. I noticed it right away. Whites looked a little yellow, and something about it was just off.

Then I used it today with polarized glasses, and I noticed something interesting right away: (when looking at screen through polarized sunglasses)

First phone: In portrait, could view the screen with virtually NO distortion. Looked dim/shadowed when in landscape. No "glowing areas" or hotspots.

Replacement phone: In portrait, there is minor dimming on one side. In landscape, there is less dimming than the first phone. It almost seems like Landscape is easier to read with polarized lenses on. Furthermore, there are many "hotspots" that seem to "glow".

Could the polarized lenses be pointing out screen quality variation that we can't see with out naked eye, which leads to the decreased vibrancy of the replacement screen?

2. jester0723 macrumors regular

Mine is easier to read in landscape than in portrait. This will depend on your glasses (and apparently also your screen)

3. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

sucks for you

you had a perfectly working phone with a tiny defect that affected it only cosmetically (and that would have happened after owning the phone after a while)

and instead you decided to trade it in

These kind of posts happen every single time a new iPhone is released

There is no guarantee that you will ever get a 100% flawless phone