Poor student wants to buy rMBP but worried about it breaking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MichaelBarry, Sep 5, 2012.

1. MichaelBarry macrumors member

I am a student and my late 2008 unibody Macbook is on its last legs.

I'm currently saving my money to purchase a 13" rMBP (which I think Apple will release eventually).

My current Macbook has served me well, I've only had to take it into the store once but I'm worried about the rMBP breaking and it being costly to fix because of its incorporated design.

I'm asking those who already own the rMBP if they have had any problems or if the incorporated design means it is less or more durable? Bear in mind I do take care of my MB but I can't avoid having to jog for class sometimes when I'm late with a MB in my backpack for example :)

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

get apple care, looks like your on a 4 year cycle so apple care will keep you safe for 3 of those 4 years

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why not get a regular base 13 mbp if you really are "poor"?

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Apple care only covers if the machine breaks, not if you break it, they are really strict about that.

here in the UK there are special Student Insurance companies that offer theft, damage, loss cover etc etc for around £140py

I would recommend both for such an expensive laptop.

I'm a student and thats what i did.

How can a poor student be buying a rMBP? :eek:

what are you studying? and where?

5. MichaelBarry thread starter macrumors member

I've been working full-time throughout the summer to save. Also it's not going to be a while before the 13" is released so I've got time.

I'm doing BA hons Fine Art in Leeds

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Ahh I know a guy who runs a Mac Reseller in leeds, small world!

I'm doing Computer Science in Aberdeen (in case you cared :] )

Good luck! :)

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There are really only two things in the RMBP that are integrated to a greater extent than on older models:

1) The RAM. This is soldered directly to the logic board now. If the RAM were to fail it would require a logic board replacement. As far as I know, RAM failures (other than DOA) are fairly rare.

2) The battery. Unlike older models, the aluminum topcase has to be replaced along with the battery because they are glued together. In a worst case scenario where you're out of the warranty/AppleCare period or Apple determines that the battery failure isn't covered by the warranty, they will do this replacement for you for $199.

The solid state drive uses a proprietary connector, but it's easy to change out. OWC even sells replacements already.

8. bill-p macrumors 65816

My rMBP definitely feels more sturdy and durable than my MBA.

I could bend and flex the MBA just by picking it up. Something with the MBA made me feel like the machine was very brittle.

In contrast, my rMBP is a completely solid piece of work. No flex anywhere and I can't bend it with the same amount of pressure I put on the MBA. Also I like that the glass screen is a lot harder to scratch than the MBA's thin film.

Compared to my old uMBP, which was built like a tank, I think the rMBP feels... less prone to damage from dropping, simply because it's significantly lighter while being just as solid.

Since the 13" rMBP will be even lighter, and it will likely have less surface area (thus less tension), I think it'll feel even better. Too bad I really need a bigger 15" screen, otherwise I would have waited for the 13" rMBP myself.