Poorer Sound From Telephone Speaker?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRun26.2, Sep 25, 2012.

1. iRun26.2, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Am I the only one?

The quality of the incoming sound coming from the speaker (that goes to your ear when on a call) seems to be not nearly as good on the iPhone 5 compared to the iPhone 4.

Has anyone else noticed this (or could my ear speaker be defective)?

2. simply stunning macrumors regular

For me at least, the sound is way better. Like it sounds so good that it bothers me. I used to have a hard time hearing people on my 4 and 4S, and now I can hear everything. When I talk to my wife I can hear my kids playing in the background and what they are saying (babbling).

So I would say that maybe there is a problem with it. How about try talking on speaker phone, and see if the clarity is better, and or if it could be the person you are talking to?

3. ominx macrumors 6502

I don't know if you're the only one but I agree with above... I found it way better than the 4. It is loud and clear.

4. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

5. simply stunning macrumors regular

The other thing to check in addition to volume on this is that you are holding the speaker to your ear. Sometimes I think the person on the other end of the call is not talking into the phone, and I realize the phone has slipped on my ear, and once I fix it I can hear fine.

I know that this is one of those "DOH!" statements, but it happens pretty often.

6. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica

I find it to be the best sounding speaker to date . (on an iPhone)

7. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I am experiencing this as well, but I can't determine if it's because I'm new to Verizon or if it's a problem with my phone.

8. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

Of course i nearly put the put INTO my ear

Im also new to verizon.

9. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Are you getting voices that sound a bit garbled or compressed? For me, it's like the first word of every sentence someone says is too low or muffled or something. It's really weird. People say I sound horrible to them too.

10. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Take the plastic sheet off the front of the phone, it covers the earpiece. :D

Kidding aside, 3 people at my office brought their new phones to me to complain about the sound being barely audible with the volume all the way up... and that was the solution!

11. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just to be clear...

I'm not talking about the speaker phone speaker (and maybe you aren't either), I'm talking about the speaker you put up next to your ear.

Maybe I need to go to the Apple Store to try one out there (but I suspect that it would be pretty noisy there).

----------

That's the opposite for me. I liked the sound from my. iPhone 4 much better

12. lls4f macrumors regular

I feel like my call quality is worse than my HTC Evo I upgraded from. I'm thinking I'll make a trip to the store at some point this week and see what the demos sound like. I just don't have a good basis of comparison since I'm not coming from another iPhone. But all my calls sound scratchy and garbled, whether calling someone next door or someone in another state

13. xristos macrumors newbie

xristos

I have the same issue with the incoming sound from the iPhone 5 ear piece. On my iPhone 4 I was able to hear people whisper & some background noise. Now with the iPhone 5, I can't hear anyone whisper, they sound muffled & no background noise at all. I read that it could be related to the overwhelming noise cancellation feature.

14. ProMod macrumors 6502a

What carrier?

15. lls4f macrumors regular

Sprint. But I've got full service (4-5 bars) and moving around (inside to outside, near window away from window) didn't fix it. So I don't think it's service related.

16. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I'm on Verizon. Maybe it's not carrier related, and is an issue with our specific phones?

17. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

No its like they have the phone far from their mouth or are far away or not speaking out clearly. This has been the case with 3 different people. Well those are the only calls ive made/received on the phone. i text a lot more :)

18. DavidMillarKirk macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. Hearing calls is so difficult, even in a quiet room. It is impossible when outside. I would love to compare it with another iPhone 5.:(

19. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Only way is to compare with another iPhone. Apple AT&T or Verizon should have a demo you can make a test call with.

20. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

21. shaynica macrumors newbie

Thank you!!!

I was only on here looking to find out why everyone who called me sounded so horrible! Thinking "great my new iPhone 5 is came broken" HAHAHA jokes on me!:p I left the plastic sheet on! Did not even think it was that! Thank you for this post! :)

22. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

23. epphllps macrumors 6502

My plastic sheet is off as I'm not sure how you can miss it lol and my ear volume is atrocious. I can't hear ANYTHING. Well, I can hear but it is extremely irritating. It is like I took my nexus and turned the ear speaker volume all the way down when comparing. When I turn my iPhone down 3-4 clicks all audio is gone. Can't be normal, can it?

24. Cripps macrumors regular

25. iRun26.2 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just tried talking with someone using the earpiece speaker and then, with the included earpods. What a difference!

The earpods are fantastic... and the earpiece speaker is crap. The must be something wrong with my earpiece speaker. I am going to the AT&T store to compare my sound to another iPhone 5.