Pop up about Apple ID and phone number being used on new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mebehere, Sep 27, 2017.

1. mebehere, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

mebehere macrumors 6502

60F490EE-77E3-4E61-902E-ACE09A369BC5.jpeg

Hi. I received a pop up on my iPad (screenshot included) a couple days ago and again today. I got worried that my iCloud account had been hacked.

Details:
    - Message popped up on iPad 2017 running iOS 11.0, installed on release day.
    - I have one iPhone (6) running 10.3.3. Had it since launch. No changes made recently.
    - The blacked out part of the screenshot is the name of my phone, but I haven’t signed in or out of iCloud recently.
    - I have 2 factor authentication enabled
    - I went to the Apple ID website and nothing seemed off but changed my password anyway
    - I looked at find my iPhone and nothing seemed off

Anyone else ever had something similar happen? Should I be worried?

Thanks.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

"Nothing seemed off" including your list of devices?

3. mebehere thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct. There were no additional devices listed other than my own.

4. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

I think this is an issue on Apple's end. I've been getting this to some degree as well. Nothing seems "off". Wouldn't worry about it.

5. mebehere thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope you're right. Thanks.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I get these popups all the time. It is simply Apple making you aware of a new device or a change to your account. Unless it is something you do not think is true, it is nothing to worry about.

7. mebehere thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the thing. I don't have a new device and hadn't made any changes to my account.

Also, I may have actually changed my password before I looked at my devices. If that's the case I'll never know if there was a strange device using my ID.

But how does someone even get into an account that has 2 factor authorization enabled?

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I do not think anyone has got into your account. Have you logged into find my phone, it will tell you what devices are being used on your account. With two factor set up there is no way.

9. mebehere thread starter macrumors 6502

I did log into find my iPhone, but it was only after I reset my password. It makes me think that if there was a strange device using my account, it kicked them out after changing my password so I wouldn’t see them in find my iPhone.

But because of the timing between the first time I received the message about a new iPhone and when I changed the password (couple days I think), I’m curious as to whether someone had access to my account during that period.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If there was someone squatting on your account their device would still be listed even if you change passwords.

With two factor activated, it is simply not going to happen.

11. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Then I wouldn't worry. Just your own iPhone 6 connecting to your account.

12. mebehere thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any reason why my phone would randomly connect to my account? I can’t think of a reason it wasn’t connected already and I hadn’t made any changes to it.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I can tell nothing we can say will stop you from worrying. You phone is ALWAYS connected to your account. Every once in a while even if you have not done anything you could get this message.

I give up.

14. mebehere thread starter macrumors 6502

I’m sorry. I appreciate all the replies. I am a worrier. But I’m gonna let this go and move on.

Thanks, everyone.