"Pop" vs. "Soda" vs. "Coke"

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
That is so awesome. I've actually been interested in what I'd always refered to as the "pop belt" I honestly thought it was just a midwest thing and wouldn't have thought it extended to the West coast. I also had no idea that the "coke" world was so large. I thought that would pretty much just be Georgia. The South-eastern Illinois/Eastern Missouri pocket of soda land is pretty interesting too.

I'd love to see this correlated to other regional word choices.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I grew up saying "pop" (in Seattle), but now I've spent so much time living other places that I probably say "pop" half the time and "soda" the other half. I'm still not the type of person who'll ask someone "what kind" when they ask for a "coke."

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
From DC, which is "soda" country (for us natives at least). I've always said soda. No outlier here.

On the other hand, I have been known to say "gazirovka"

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i tend to say pop, but occasionally soda, eh its an interesting map thats for sure, to see how Soda is spread in pockets...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i like the oasis of "soda" area around St. Louis (i think), sandwiched between the "pop" and "coke" areas. :D

the "coke" region is so weird...

Waiter: what would like to drink?
Customer: coke please.
Waiter: what kind of coke?
Customer: oh, sprite.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I think the map also shows a lot about migration patterns. Southern Florida, for example. Alaska is interesting too. Not sure what's going on there.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
edesignuk said:
Followed by some very strange looks by the bar man ;) :p
you'd surprised what a great conversation starter it is with barmaids though... ;)

Applespider said:
you sick, sick girl. :eek: :p

speaking of sick, you remember 'Quattro' from the '80's? :eek: :p

dPratt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2004
Knoxville, TN
"Coke" is very common here in TN. It does, however, drive me crazy. In college I worked at a pizza place and a customer asked for the napkins. I told her to look beside the pop machine... at which point she just went nuts telling me "it's Coke... blah, blah, blah..." :rolleyes:

And if I order a Coke, I mean Coke... not some other kind of pop :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
iGAV said:
speaking of sick, you remember 'Quattro' from the '80's? :eek: :p

They need to bring that back, along with 'Texan' (a chewy nougat centre covered in milk chocolate) chewy bars and Hedgehog flavour crisps!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
When I don't say the specific make (i.e., "Diet Coke"), I say "soda". I was born in Keokuk, Iowa - which is quite literally at the tip of Iowa, bordering both Illinois and Missouri. Looking at the map, I see it is in an area strongly divided between what to call carbonated beverages. I grew up outside Peoria, Illinois (Pekin) - an area also sharply divided. Oddly, though, I don't recall people calling it anything generic besides "soda" - I knew what "pop" was, but no one I knew called it that.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
dPratt said:
"Coke" is very common here in TN.
yes, yes it is. and i have a hell of a time explaining it to the folk up here in MN. at least by now they kinda just don't pay me any attention anymore when i say it... sometimes, when i'm trying to make it really easy for someone, i will say "soda," though. that p-p word is never going to happen, though!

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I'm gonna have to disagree with this Map. It claims that in my county Hillsborough, FL, 50%-80% of people use Coke as the generic term for a soft drink. Never in my 22 years living in Tampa have I ever heard anyone refer to soda as Coke unless they're specifically talking about Coke. Never. It just doesn't happen. We call it "soda."

Improper conversation:
"What kind of coke do you want?"
"Pepsi, please."

Proper conversation:
"What kind of coke do you want?"
"Diet, please."

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
dPratt said:
And if I order a Coke, I mean Coke... not some other kind of pop :)
ahah exactly, if I am asking for a Coke, I want a Coke. Why would I ask for a Coke if I wanted a Pepsi?

that brings me to the midwest negioation of soft drinks:

What would you like to drink?
Coke.
Pepsi ok?
No, Dr. Pepper?
Yep.
Ok I'll have that, thanks.

Or the short version (which normally happens)

Coke
Pepsi?
Dr. Pepper

then there is the uk version

Coke
Pepsi?
Dr. Pepper
Sorry, we don't have that
Damn, ok Pepsi will do.
(grumbles about pepsi products for the next 10min in his head)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Its pop!

theres a facebook group at my school called 'its not pop its soda damnit" and we had a drunken arguement about this last year and found that same map which basically ended in a "draw" of sorts.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
Responses in the "other" category that deserve attention:

-Many different variations on "sodie" and "sodie pop"
-"phosphate"
-"Lage Farva" (hilarious)
-"******* Juice" (dear lord)
-"Ninja juice"
-"grew up in upstate new york called it pop. went to college in upstate ny with many schoolmates from new york city. learned that pop to them was unacceptable. learned to use soda as new name for pop. Now I live in central new york.... still calling it soda." (this got 3 responses)
-"Liter-o-cola" (also hilarious)
-"shoe"
-various other unmentionables that would only be funny to 10 year olds

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Applespider said:
I've always just asked for whatever kind of drink I wanted - coke, lemonade, irn bru ;) If I was pushed for a generic term, I'd probably end up with 'soft drinks'
Same here.......though 99% of the time I say DP (Dr. Pepper).

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
wow. That map is truly a monumental achievement.

Most folks 'round these parts call it soda, but I have a friend who has always referred to it as "mouth wash," presumably because it does a great job of eating away cottonmouth. :p