Pope: Gay Marriage Insidious and Dangerous

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 14, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And in other news...the pope just can't stop inserting himself into politics. Thanks a lot for making us out to be the "enemy" once again. :mad:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/05/13/Pope_Gay_Marriage_Insidious_and_Dangerous/

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. He is out of control and just seems to get crazier and crazier.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

That's not politics. That's a major tenet of the religion he is elected to represent. He gets to express his opinion on behalf of his religion too - it's his job. I suspect the majority of his followers agree with him.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The Pope has lost nearly all credibility and should be an embarassment to his religion. How can he moralize about how "dangerous and insidious" gay marriage is when he took an active role in shielding pedophile priests? He's the worst kind of hypocrite and definitely not a representative of God, nor even a decent person. The Catholic church is going to be completely irrelevant in the lives of modern people if there isn't a more progressive Pope next time.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Protector of Pedophiles should shut his ****ing pie hole.

Talk about insidious and dangerous.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He can instruct his followers not to get married to someone of the same sex. He has absolutely no right to try to get a law overturned that affects everyone, even non-Catholics. Sorry, that is not his job to make laws.

8. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

That's terrible that he would say that. The vatican needs to check itself look at it's history the vatican is drenched in blood pretty much going back to the days of the inqustition and some would say Mob involvement as well.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not to mention all of the child ****ing that goes on in the Catholic Church. I guess gay sex is OK as long as it's with a 10 year old :rolleyes:

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The Pope of the Catholic Church doesn't approve of same-sex marriage? I'm shocked! :eek:

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

While I don't think it'll change anyone's opinion, I don't think he's calling gay marriage "dangerous and insidious." If you read the full quote, he's promoting the family based on marriage with one man and one woman, and that building a society on that type of family will help to quash "some of today’s most insidious and dangerous threats to the common good." He never specifies what those threats are. Of course he's speaking against gay marriage, though.

Not that I can read Portuguese myself, but I'd be interested as to how this quotation reads in Portuguese.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That isn't at all true. Being a bigot is not a major tenet of catholicism, I would know, I have been raised Catholic. My entire family is Irish-Catholic, and the majority attends mass every Sunday. I'm one of the few in my family who doesn't practice. Also, I should mention that I'm gay and my entire family knows and for the most part supports me (with the exception of two of my aunts) and gay rights. I don't know anyone in my family who actually likes Benedict, in fact most think he's a nut and is way too involved in politics.

Don't try to say every Catholic supports the Pope and his wackjob statements, it's not like we have a say in what happens during conclave.

Don

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

It's completely true, of course. And the label "being a bigot" is only one way of looking at it. The other is "keeping the traditional values of the Catholic Church". And this is hardly a unique position for a religious organization, is it?

And I didn't say "every Catholic supports the pope" did I? Seriously, go back and re-read. I'll wait right here...

Thank you. No, I said the majority, and you know perfectly well that that is a fact.

14. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Actually the church did pride themselves on being okay with a "Non-Practicing homosexual" as a Priest. I'm not quite sure what that is. But with the latest statement on gay marriage. They must not want gays as priests now?

But then again this is the church that denied the world was round and locked up galileo because of it.

15. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

An organisation that gives so much power to a man like this pope (or like any other pope before him) needs to be disbanded, even if most of its members don't approve of their leader's action. Because guess what, if you get rid of this pope for what he's doing to our people, there will be another pope just like him popping out of the ground only seconds later.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There's instant-spawning zombie popes :eek:?

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Instant-spawning zombie acorn posts! Oh noooooooo!

18. Queso macrumors G4

19. Hmac macrumors 68020

More like Whack-a-Mole.

20. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well the catholic church seems to be showing quite clearly it wants to fail. I think they thought when they connected homosexuality to pedophillia in Chile they'd get away with it - unfortunately for them Chile isn't like that anymore - while Sundays are quiet, its not as if life doesn't continue.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Anti-women, anti-gay and anti-aircraft.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Meanwhile in a confessional somwhere a kid is being raped by a priest. Lets talk about whats really insidious and dangerous.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, this is the church that denied the Earth wasn't the center of the universe and locked up Galileo because of his beliefs to the contrary.