Pope Has Died :-( (He actually has now)

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
1,209
0
Cadillac, MI
A sad day today--the pope has died from his complications. No web links I've found yet, but it was just reported on Fox News. A great man, it's extremely sad he died. :(
 

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
1,209
0
Cadillac, MI
miloblithe said:
Sounded like it was pretty imminent. He had a real long, good run as pope though. Remember the good side.
It did sound like it was going to happen, but even knowing that his passing was imminent, it's still extremely sad to actually happen.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,595
142
Bergen, Norway
CNN runs it, too... unconfirmed... Edit2: changed to conflicting reports, and that he still lives...

Edit: BBC World says his condition has worsened... and that he's still alive...

Is it just me who finds "live" broadcasting from outside the pope's bedroom, just a little tacky...
 

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
716
0
Colorado
I just clicked on CNN and the headline reads: Pope clinging to life

Probably just havent updated it yet. Its amazing how long he held on with all those complications. Strong man...
 

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
2,436
5,531
OBJECTIVE reality
LeeTom said:
I hope Fox isn't calling THIS one early.
Tacky, but funny, I've got to admit.

Not to make light of the pope's death, though. It's a sad day, albeit not unexpected. :(

Next comes the funeral, and the conclave of cardinals to select a new pope.
 

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
1,209
0
Cadillac, MI
UPDATE: The pope is still alive! FOX (as well as CNN, and REUTERS) called it too early. "Reuter's reports that the Pope's brain and heart are still functioning."

Although he's alive, I don't think he has much time left. I'm praying for him.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
hotwire132002 said:
UPDATE: The pope is still alive! FOX (as well as CNN, and REUTERS) called it too early. "Reuter's reports that the Pope's brain and heart are still functioning."

Although he's alive, I don't think he has much time left. I'm praying for him.
cant the media ever get anything right?

poor man, i just hope he isnt in pain for his sake
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
Blue Velvet said:
Depends on the media.
Nothing ever happens without the BBC saying so first... :D
oh really? ill keep that in mind....

seriously though, something such as this shouldnt have been reported unless they were certain.....::::sigh::::
 

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
1,209
0
Cadillac, MI
zimv20 said:
just a little april fool's fun, i expect.
I doubt it was April Fools, I think it was misinformation. I *seriously* doubt they would joke about an issue that serious.

On a side note--I notice a mod has changed the thread title. Thanks!

Hopefully it won't need to be changed again for a long while, but it still doesn't look good... I'm keeping the Pope in my prayers.
 

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
2,436
5,531
OBJECTIVE reality
Looks like LeeTom was prescient. ;)

Very confusing now, though. Looks like the Italian media were the ones to screw up. CNN, far as I know, did not confirm that the pope had died, and in fact was very careful to say that that was what the Italian media was reporting.

If Fox did indeed report it as fact, then yes, they screwed up again.

Some reports now speculate he may "only" be brain-dead, but kept alive via artificial respiration.

Sure wish the Vatican would send someone out to clear things up.
 

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
1,209
0
Cadillac, MI
PlaceofDis said:
oh really? ill keep that in mind....

seriously though, something such as this shouldnt have been reported unless they were certain.....::::sigh::::
I do agree--they could have been more responsable and said that it's been reported, but they're working to confirm. Or, better yet, don't report it until they confim. :sigh:
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
hotwire132002 said:
On a side note--I notice a mod has changed the thread title. Thanks!
Well I thought it was best. Don't want people to be seeing it only to find out it's wrong :eek:

I too am waiting for something from the beeb before believing anything ;)
 

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
1,209
0
Cadillac, MI
Thomas Veil said:
Looks like LeeTom was prescient. ;)

Very confusing now, though. Looks like the Italian media were the ones to screw up. CNN, far as I know, did not confirm that the pope had died, and in fact was very careful to say that that was what the Italian media was reporting.

If Fox did indeed report it as fact, then yes, they screwed up again.

Some reports now speculate he may "only" be brain-dead, but kept alive via artificial respiration.

Sure wish the Vatican would send someone out to clear things up.
FOX did say that Italian media reports that he has died--so, like someone else mentioned, it looks like Italian media caused the commotion.

Everyone here is right, though--the media does jump to conclusions too quickly these days.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
Thomas Veil said:
If Fox did indeed report it as fact, then yes, they screwed up again.
No they didn't. Fox reported that Italians were reporting the Pope was dead. And, Fox is right. Some Italian reports are still saying the Pope is dead. Take that however you want.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
PlaceofDis said:
oh really? ill keep that in mind....

seriously though, something such as this shouldnt have been reported unless they were certain.....::::sigh::::
BBC reports that he is still alive. Barely...
I think we'll hear something from the Vatican within the next 4 hours.
 

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
1,209
0
Cadillac, MI
edesignuk said:
Well I thought it was best. Don't want people to be seeing it only to find out it's wrong :eek:

I too am waiting for something from the beeb before believing anything ;)
Maybe I came across wrong--I wasn't being sarcastic. I fully agree that we don't want people to see it and then read a couple posts and find out it's wrong.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
hotwire132002 said:
Maybe I came across wrong--I wasn't being sarcastic. I fully agree that we don't want people to see it and then read a couple posts and find out it's wrong.
I wasn't having a go...looks like I must have come across wrong :)