Population of the US grew 9.7% to 308.7 million

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Dec 21, 2010.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Good work everyone! :)

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The countries where the population is declining are the smart ones.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Smart, yes, but at no small cost.

The economic models are all in a kerfuffle, because the labour pool is drying up. ;)

4. Shivetya macrumors 65816

and with the labor pool drying up so goes the ability to pay benefits to those who don't work

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

So more people are having babies today than before? Hrmm.. well.. if they stopped making such a big deal out of it on TV maybe people wouldn't be so obsessed with sex and babies. Just saying.

6. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    While this is interesting, I really want to see a figure on the number of people who have moved (either out of the country or to states with lower taxes).

7. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Interesting. Remember this also effects the House of Reps.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40733820/ns/politics/
    Looks like Texas gained four seats. I have a friend who will be really happy about that.:p
    This could potentially effect the next Presidential election....

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Will there be a wake, with an open bar???

10. Malsi macrumors regular

I hope Mother Nature decides to go through natural selection before we overpopulate the world.

11. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

California did not gain more representatives.... I think....

12. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Hahaha that's because no one wants to move to our (more than others) bankrupt state. I'm surprised we didn't lose seats.

In no way shape or form do I want to turn this political, but are illegal immigrants included in this count?

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

They are counted.

14. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

The worst part is - the "less attractive" have the most babies.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

My comment to this post would immediately throw this thread into PRSI. :)

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

Better watch out, USA, your Northern Neighbour is catching up. coinicidentally, we also announced some population figures this week.

Canada, with a population of 34.2 million people grew by 129,300 people... for the quarter ending Oct 1, 2010.... which means [pencil scratching, eraser rubbing] .... a 0.3776% increase in 3 months.

which leads to a 1.51% in year, and if that trend was maintained for a decade, a 15.1% increase (compared to the 9.7%). Of course that's projecting into the future for Canada, and comparing that to the last 10 years for the US.

In 2000 the Canadian population was just over 30 million. So now, that means a ..... [more pencil scratching, etc] a 10.37% increase over the same decade (compared to 9.7%).... which means that.... We're Still Catching Up!!! Whoo Whoo!!! More Hockey Rinks For Us!!! (in about 500 years.... :) ).

Seriously... congratulations on your new family members. Just remember to return the table saw when you're done with the new bedroom, eh?

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

So, if the U.S. is as bad as all those heads of state and ambassadors and such from other countries say, then, why do so many people want to move to the U.S.? I wonder what all those people know that their presidents and prime ministers don't?

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

"Idiocracy" is slowly becoming prophecy.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but of course your kids are ok as you aren't one of, what you call, unattractive people right? lol

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

First of all, not every Head of State/Ambassador are bad-mouthing the US. Then, to do a true comparison you would have to match the migration stats from those nations with HoS/A that do bad-mouth the US. So, for instance, what is the migration pattern from Iran? Seems to me, iirc, Iranian refugees are heading for Australia - not US. I don't know where Libyan migrants/refugees head for - but I would suspect France or Italy. etc etc

22. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Exactly what a Representative Republic does not need.
    :(

23. RawBert, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

:D No kids for me - ever. I'll die alone and bitter.
    ...or of an overdose, surrounded by hookers. ;)

But seriously, the overpopulation of the world is out of control. I looked into this a few years ago. I found some projected numbers suggesting the population will grow to 20-30+ billion (high estimate) by 2100. :eek:
    How can this planet's resources support so many people. Who knows at what point the population will plateau? Disease is nature's answer but medicine counters that.
    I'm glad I won't be around in 200 years.:eek:

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The population is growing at an alarming rate, currently.

If you look at the birth rates of developed versus non-developed countries, you will see a huuuuge birth rate difference; especially if you compare most European countries to most African countries.

Now, last time I checked (so it may have changed), France actually had a negative birth rate, meaning more people were dying than were born and they were considering offering incentives to have babies. The US' birth rate is between developed and non-developed but it is and has been decreasing. Because the US is characterized my a large influx of immigrants, predicting birth rate is well, difficult.

The easiest way to get an idea of population stability is looking at population distribution my age and sex. If there is a large amount of people 0-17 or 65+ in relation to the 18-45 category, the population is extremely unstable and there are going to be massive problems in the near-future. Ideally, you want the large majority of your population to be in the 18-65 range because of productivity and subsistence. Furthermore, they must support the 2 other age ranges.

Here is Australia from 01 and 06 by age and sex. This is a worrying graph as you will see that the population is getting older, but both the birth rate and amount of productive workers is declining. When this happens, you are going to have huge issues regarding elder-care.
    [​IMG]