Port Att iphone no. to new Contract and retain old contract with new number!! data on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brokebroker83, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Brokebroker83 macrumors member

Alright, first of all I know everyone is getting sick and tired of the iphone related threads popping up over here. But I have no other choice but to start one — hoping someone will be able to offer me a solution to my problem.

Here's the deal. My wife has the unlimited data plan, since she signed up with Att last year. Currently she has a iPhone 3GS and sees no need to upgrade to the new version.

I on the other hand had been using a paygo T-mobile plan (had been waiting for the iPhone).

Now the thing is she doesnt really use her data and I most definitely coud with my shiny new phone (hopefully arriving on June 24th!!), but am unable to as I dont already have a contract with them.

I know people would suggest to switch the sims when I get the phone, but thats a no-go as the Misses is very attached to her number and does not want to change it (under no condition whatsoever!!)

So what I need all you guys to tell me is a way to get her number switched over to my contract so I can give her my sim (I'm aware of the sim differences in the two phones and will sort that out :) )

So any clue how to do this?

I was thinking of porting over her number to a different carrier and then porting it back to a new line on att (though this would mean I lose my preorder).

Though I dont know if I can port over her current ATT number and still maintain the contract. Does ATT allow that. And how difficult do you guys think it would be to port it back to a new connection on ATT.

Also, her number is originally from Wisconsin and now we live in Chicago.

Is there an easier solution?

Why can't ATT just switch the numbers on the contracts !!! :(

Anyone who can help me in this little quandary I find myself in, I promise to name my firstborn after you!!! :)

Now you have incentive!!

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

For Verizon (and I assume all carriers), porting your number cancels your contract.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm actually confused by the OP.

You have a paygo phone on t-mobile but you're now coming on to AT&T because you just ordered an iPhone but you want to move your wife's phone number from her phone to yours?:confused:

4. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

No can do - I'm in a similar situation:

-My wife uses my old iPhone 2G with the unlimited data plan and I finally decided to pickup a new iPhone for myself. The unlimited data plan has to be attached to HER number - cannot be transfered to my new number, even though she would be good with 200MB data.

5. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

Do you guys think ATT would be able to just switch the numbers on the contract?

Apparently this guy: http://jkontherun.com/2010/03/02/goodbye-iphone/
    was able to port his iphone att number and still retain the contract and get a new number assigned to him.

I wish Att would just switch them. Why do they care who has the number under their name!!!

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I'm really not sure how he ported the number AND was able to assign a new number at the same time. A contract is usually tied to a number which is why the contract is cancelled (physically in the computer) when the phone is ported out (and why on the converse a phone being ported in initiates a contract). However, as I have never actually done any of this, it's all just speculation and you should ask your local AT&T representatives who will likely be more than happy to sell you a new iphone and make some commission if possible.

7. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

Sadly, I wish it was as simple as that. The local ATT reps are — to say the least — a bit special.

Each of them has their own theory on everything and they don't even give the same answer every time. Their opinions and knowledge seems to change with the wind. :(

I know they can change your phone number on your account (lets say you have too many prank calls coming in)...So I don't see why they have a problem with allowing you to port your number without having to close the account.

Hell in this case they win, cause you continue paying them their monthly fees.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The number porting system is specifically from carrier to carrier. It doesn't work from one AT&T account to another.

I've heard AT&T could swap numbers between contracts on a family plan, but I've yet to see them actually do it.

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

If you are able to switch numbers between the contracts, can you order an iphone with new phone number and then just have them switch your new number with your wife's old number? Even if you want to port in a number from a different carrier you could still do that if they allow you to make this initial switch, here's how.

Assume you have your wife's iphone 3gs, your T-Mobile phone, and your new iphone 4

1. When you buy the iphone 4 have it assigned a random number
    2. Switch the phone numbers between your iphone 4 and her iphone 3gs
    3. Now your iphone 4 has her original number - get ready
    4. Have them (maybe on a separate day but within 30 days of your new contract for the iphone 4) port your original T-Mobile number to your wife's iphone 3GS so now she has your old number on her iphone 3GS
    5. Re-switch the numbers so now you have your old number and she has hers

Is this what you want to do?

EDIT: I got confused myself and had to change the steps

10. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

Well I personally don't care about retaining my tmobile number as I use Google Voice to forward all my phone calls. All I need is to make the new contract have my wife's current cell number (Number X) on it. I am willing to take whatever number is assigned. The ATT rep I spoke with told me that they can't switch numbers on contracts. The told me the only thing we can do is ask to switch my wife's number and have her get a new random number and then we can switch sims.

But als this won't work as she wants to retain her old cell number (like i mentioned she's had it for many years and has grown attached to it)