Port Timing: Should I port my AT&T # to VZW before or after picking up my X Pre-Order?

prominence

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hi friends,

Quick question regarding porting and switching carriers.

I am currently on AT&T with my iPhone 7. Several weeks ago I added a line to my mother's VZW account and activated it on an old iPhone 5c to be able to Pre-Order an iPhone X today (and was successful for 11/3 in-store pick-up, woo!). This is through the iUP program (trading in my AT&T iPhone 7 for the VZW X).

I plan to port my # over from AT&T; since the pre-order was "authorized" under this random verizon # I'll be getting rid of, should I wait to port my AT&T number over until AFTER I pick up my pre-order and activate it?

Ideally I would like to port over a few days before 11/3 and just deal with the iPhone 5c on VZW so that when I activate my X it's already functioning on my # from AT&T, but I was not sure if the iPhone is required to activate out of the box on the phone number it was pre-ordered against or not.

The most important thing is I don't want to cause issues with activation because I ordered under line A, but then I ported line B's phone number to replace line A before I have picked up/activated the X, if that will cause an issue.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Rafterman

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Hi friends,

Quick question regarding porting and switching carriers.

I am currently on AT&T with my iPhone 7. Several weeks ago I added a line to my mother's VZW account and activated it on an old iPhone 5c to be able to Pre-Order an iPhone X today (and was successful for 11/3 in-store pick-up, woo!). This is through the iUP program (trading in my AT&T iPhone 7 for the VZW X).

I plan to port my # over from AT&T; since the pre-order was "authorized" under this random verizon # I'll be getting rid of, should I wait to port my AT&T number over until AFTER I pick up my pre-order and activate it?

Ideally I would like to port over a few days before 11/3 and just deal with the iPhone 5c on VZW so that when I activate my X it's already functioning on my # from AT&T, but I was not sure if the iPhone is required to activate out of the box on the phone number it was pre-ordered against or not.

The most important thing is I don't want to cause issues with activation because I ordered under line A, but then I ported line B's phone number to replace line A before I have picked up/activated the X, if that will cause an issue.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
The carriers are very touchy. I wouldn't change anything until the phone ships. If you mess with our cellular configuration, the order could get auto-cancelled.

prominence

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
The carriers are very touchy. I wouldn't change anything until the phone ships. If you mess with our cellular configuration, the order could get auto-cancelled.
Thank ya- Leaning this way, better safe than sorry! I'm presuming there's no issue with the port happening even though I've turned in my AT&T iPhone back into Apple before kicking off the porting process.

Rafterman

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Thank ya- Leaning this way, better safe than sorry! I'm presuming there's no issue with the port happening even though I've turned in my AT&T iPhone back into Apple before kicking off the porting process.
Yes, normally you shouldn't have a problem, but over the years, I've seen some weird reasons for people getting cancelled. Not worth risking it.