Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mossmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Being a film student I need lots of HDD space to edit and store films. I couldn't afford any more than 256 GB of space in my rMBP and need an need a portable external hard drive. (I have 2 WD studio's filled already)

I would love to use thunderbolt, but I can't find any drives that use it. I guess USB 3.0 would be adequate.

What are the best portable hard drives? And can you give links

Thanks

Moss.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
I had this problem. I looked everywhere for a thunderbolt disk of around 500Gb, they just aren't in the marketplace yet. I settled for a WD Passport Essentials USB 3 drive.

Mossmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
I had this problem. I looked everywhere for a thunderbolt disk of around 500Gb, they just aren't in the marketplace yet. I settled for a WD Passport Essentials USB 3 drive.

Probably cost a bomb when they are too, think I will do the same and get a WD.

Whats the write speed of your drive?

cheers

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Probably cost a bomb when they are too, think I will do the same and get a WD.

Whats the write speed of your drive?

cheers

Not sure I haven't tested it yet. It says it's 3x the speed of USB 2, which I understand from reviews is in the region of 110 MBps.

timmyak

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
I bought the seagate backup 1tb usb3 drive;

I find it to be pretty fast; and am running a windows vm [parallels] right off of the external drive / no lag.

good price and very portable; i also like that the usb connector is detachable so i can either replace it with a thunderbolt connector in the future or i can actually use the connector with any other 2.5in drive.

http://amzn.com/B00829THO6

msalman

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
One could get one of Seagate GoFlex drives and then buy Seagate GoFlex thunderbolt adapter/connector. Replace out of box GoFlex adapter/connector with thunderbolt one and taada you are set :)

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
im going for the portable 2TB WD USB 3.0 Drive when i get my first payment from school :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.