Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Hi, I'm thinking about buying an iPhone 5 from a person who is selling theirs sealed. It's for AT&T, which I am switching to from Verizon. I have an order made on 9/30 for an iPhone 5 under my current number. I plan on canceling the order once this one arrives. The rep I bought it from said when I activate it on my computer, the number will port. However, does this apply if I buy one from outside of AT&T, Apple, or any authorized retailer? Or do I have to go to an AT&T store for this?

Thanks

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It doesn't apply to a third party phone. That phone is tied to the original buyer and he should activate it before giving it to you. Otherwise you will not be able to unless he gives you personal info. At that point you may have to go the AT&T store for a new sim and to transfer your number.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
It doesn't apply to a third party phone. That phone is tied to the original buyer and he should activate it before giving it to you. Otherwise you will not be able to unless he gives you personal info. At that point you may have to go the AT&T store for a new sim and to transfer your number.

Oh didn't know that. So once it's activated under his name I'll have to go to a store to get it switched?

Is there any way to get activated under my name from the get go?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.