Porting AT&T to Verizon: When does it happen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gowanis, Sep 13, 2012.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

I'm AT&T, out of contract, and I plan to pre-order through apple.com.

Do I simply order my Verzion version of iPhone 5 and then port my number during the activation process after my phone arrives? Is it all done through iTunes? Or must I deal with porting during the pre-order process?

p.s. I already have a Verizon data account for my iPad.

Thanks for the help.

2. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Pre order through Apple choose Verizon new customer then port number.

3. soleilvie macrumors member

I would do it through Verizon. From what I read on another thread, you select the option to port from another carrier then you enter the account number, billing info, etc. but the actual porting won't happen until the phone is activated.

4. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry... i'm still a bit unclear.

Must I provide my phone number and porting info at the time I place the pre-order (at apple.com) ? Does this affect my existing phone while I wait for the new phone to arrive?

Or do I simply order a Verizon version of the phone and deal with the porting upon activation? and can this all be done through iTunes?

To add a wrinkle, I already have an existing account with Verizon for my iPad and I'll want to combine into a shared data plan.

Thanks again for the help.

5. soleilvie macrumors member

Especially if you already have an account with Verizon, you should do the preorder there. I wouldn't go to apple.com. I went to Verizon's website just now and pretended to order a 4S. It asks for porting info from the other carrier (phone number, account number, billing address) so I assume it will be the same during the iPhone 5 preorder. You're entering the port information, but it's not going to do anything until you activate the iPhone 5 (so you can keep using your phone with AT&T). Also, you don't need to do anything on AT&T's end - don't cancel your contract or line or anything because then your phone number will be locked with them. That's what a Verizon rep told me.

6. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will consider ordering through Verizon (although I admit I feel more comfortable ordering through Apple, not sure why).

Can anyone shed light on how the process would work if I order through Apple?

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

If you want the port to be done as part of the activation process once you get your new iPhone 5 then you need to include it when pre-ordering it. If you don't want to include it during the pre-order then you will get a new Verizon phone number and then you can port after you get your Verizon iPhone 5 up and running and verify that it meets your coverage needs.

There is no impact to your exiting service until the port actually begins based on you activating the new iPhone 5. Porting will be started when you activate the phone. You can activate using iTunes or the newer OTA activation.

During the port process, first your new iPhone 5 will be able to make calls but may not be able to receive calls as the porting process is still ongoing. Every year the due to the number of ports on lauch day there are delays completing the ports.

Once the port is complete for your number, your AT&T account will be cancelled. It get's cancelled when the phone number leaves AT&T.

Summary: You can order from Apple or Verizon. I would suggest that you order a new line and then merge your existing Verizion iPad account after you get everthing up and working. The less complex the process the easier it is to complete without problems due to the mass activity at all carriers during launch. :eek:

Dave

8. webworks415 macrumors 6502

When I did this, I just started a new Verizon account with iPhone on a random number, then I called them and had my AT&T number ported the same night.