Porting from At&t to VZW - need help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ct04, Sep 18, 2012.

1. ct04 macrumors member

Hi folks,

I have a brand new Vzw iPhone arriving this Friday, ready to replace AT&T once and for all. Oh, also, my current phone I guess...:)

Here's where things get a bit tricky. I ordered this phone as an upgrade to an existing, currently unused line on my family's vzw share everything plan (don't even ask). Meanwhile, I have my own AT&T account that I want to port my number from onto this new phone. I've heard dire warnings about not even turning on my new phone until I initiate the transfer request lest my old vzw number become tied to the sim, so I'm turning to you folks here on the forum: can someone please give me a stepwise guide on how the heck to get everything set up?

Thanks!

2. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Is your AT&T line out of contract? If so, why not just upgrade that line? If so, you can't port the number without paying AT&T's early termination fees. You'll have to be the full 2 years, they only give early upgrades if you are staying with them.

The phone isn't tied to an account. When you activate it, just activate it on the number you want. Since it's not under contract at Verizon, it won't matter to them as they see it as a new line. Now, cancelling on the AT&T side will incur early termination fees if it's still under the 2 year contract.

3. ct04 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. My AT&T iPhone is free and clear, and I'm on a month to month plan, so I can definitely transfer the line. My question was more about the mechanics: once I get the 5, is my first step to call Verizon and start the port, then unbox the phone, hook it up to iTunes etc? Or do I first get the phone up and running, then start talking to Verizon?

One last point - recently moved from Boston to Philly, and while AT&T was livable in Boston it's utter **** in Philly. So I am running back to mama Verizon so I can place calls and not have 60% drop.

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

It should be able to setup as a new line when you plug it in to setup. Not sure if even Verizon have to be contacted in order to port. Never had to port a number before, so not sure on the phone setup.

5. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

First step: activate your iPhone 5 on VZW with existing number. You will have to accept the terms of the new contract over the phone or on the web.

Second step: Call VZW and tell them you would like to do a number change with a number being ported in. The account holder has to make this call unless you are an authorized user on account.

6. diegoesk macrumors regular

What was said above^^ also you need to have your att account number ready when you call vzw customer service. If you have any passwords on account that will be needed as well.

7. diegoesk macrumors regular

Also, make sure to port your number to vzw before you cancel with att otherwise you will loose the number