porting number to new contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cody21, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Alright, I'm gonna try to explain this the best I can. So bear with me. My girlfriend is planning on pre-ordering the iPhone 5 this Friday on AT&T, but she is wanting to start her own contract. She is currently on her mom's plan which is on AT&T too but she does not want to get a new number if she does not have to. I didn't know the answer to this question so I figured I would come here and ask you all. Would they be able to do a number port in that situation? Or will she need to get a new number? Thanks!

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

No she can't do a number port within the same carrier. Also in this case, her current number belongs to her mom as far as AT&T is concerned.

Is she eligible for an upgrade currently as the would be the easiest way to pre-order? Once she get's the phone, her mom can start a Transfer of Responsibility for the line to put it into her name as a standalone account if your GF has a credit history.

Also some other things to consider. Does she have a credit history established because if she does not pass the credit check for a new account then she may be required to make a very large deposit to start an account in her name. Is her line part of a FamilyTalk plan?

Dave

3. Cody21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cody21

She doesn't have an upgrade available. I can ask her about the Transfer of Responsibility though, she will probably like that option. She does have good credit as far as I know. She financed a car not to long ago.

4. remlover macrumors newbie

Dave is right. When I went off my families plan to get the iphone 4 with AT&T, I was told I can't keep my number as it was my families plan. So i was forced to get a new number.

Fast forward to iPhone 5. I'm switching to Sprint, and according to Sprint (they already checked out my numbers), all I need to do is call a certain 800 number once I receive the phones, and they will port over my AT&T numbers to Sprint.