Portland school board bans climate change-denying materials

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Retract that scurrilous lie. Right now.
You love Trump more than you hate Hillary? Or you just hate Hillary so much that any sort of sensible judgement when posting about her is thrown out the window? Both are true but if you must, pick one.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
But only one side is true, the other is a political agenda.
Spoken like a true progressive. I remember when the world was ending due to global cooling, then global warming, now global climate change. Amazing how the scientist were so sure...yet kept getting it wrong.

Schools taught the Big Bang theory forever as the scientists were so sure, but as of last year they now know different. Science has been wrong many time...including in the global climate change area . This is why so much is considered a "theory"?

Schools should always teach both sides of a topic. These kids should learn to be able to think for themselves. Give them the facts. Teach XX% of scientists state it is real, and xx% state it isn't.

Edit: I do think climate change is occurring, but the question is, is man responsible? Climate change has happened forever.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Spoken like a true progressive. I remember when the world was ending due to global cooling, then global warming, now global climate change. Amazing how the scientist were so sure...yet kept getting it wrong.

Schools taught the Big Bang theory forever as the scientists were so sure, but as of last year they now know different. Science has been wrong many time...including in the global climate change area. This is why so much is considered a "theory"?

Schools should always teach both sides of a topic. These kids should learn to be able to think for themselves. Give them the facts. Teach XX% of scientists state it is real, and xx% state it isn't.
Gravity is also a theory yet you don't see people jumping out of windows. In science theories are always tested, empirical and peer reviewed, they are also subject to change if new evidence is presented without judgement and ideology. This is indeed progressive.

tgara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
A major concept in science is that of unending questioning of accepted truth/fact/knowledge. To arbitrarily outlaw such questioning is anti-science politics.

Seems to me that some amount of climate change, century to century, is historical. Reasonably well established for far longer time periods. Okay, I'm not disagreeing at all. Where I do disagree is that man-made CO2 is "the" culprit for present trends. There appears to be a lot of reasonable evidence for other causes.

That said, the present emphasis seems more to be for an increase in political power for the sake of increased power, not for any actual control of alleged causes.
This. The issue is much bigger that just choosing one side, as Portland has done. I think it's fair to say that most scientists believe that the earth is warming. The issue lies with the cause. Some say its a normal trend, other say it's due to man and his cars and factories.

The bigger issues that come into play largely center around free speech. It was recently reported that a group of state attorneys general, led by NY AG Eric Schneiderman, want to prosecute ExxonMobil under the RICO statutes for "lying" about climate change. RICO is the Racketeering, Influence, and Corrupt Organizations statutes that were enacted to prosecute mafia figures! Some members of the Congress, notably RI Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, has said similar things. All this, simply because they took a stand on an issue that these politicians did not like.

If the essence of science is to put forth theories and test them rigorously and impartially, alternative theories must be permitted to be discussed without fear of reprisal.

Commentator Mark Steyn has an interesting perspective on it. He himself is being sued by Michael Mann, the inventor of the hockey-stick model, for defamation because he wrote a blog post in National Review calling him and the model frauds. If you value fairness and open debate without fear of negative repercussions, it's worth watching.

Reactions: rshrugged

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Does it really matter if man is partially responsible? Global Climate Change is real.
Yes, this.

For me, I look out over the downtown area where I am at, and see the smog. I would doubt very few people disagree that we should make some changes. I believe climate change is real, but humans have a minimal impact. But the solution is the same, so the argument about climate change is kind of moot. However, when it comes to teaching the "one side only thing" is not a good idea. Here or any other topic that is taught in school.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Does it really matter if man is partially responsible? Global Climate Change is real.
It matters because it's used as an excuse not to change it, we should all agree that we need to do more to move to greener, more sustainable energy and the sooner we put our efforts towards it the better.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Gravity is also a theory yet you don't see people jumping out of windows. In science theories are always tested, empirical and peer reviewed, they are also subject to change if new evidence is presented without judgement and ideology. This is indeed progressive.
Yep, you got it. Teach one side only. That is the progressive way. Freedom to think, and be taught with an open mind...as long as you agree with us. If you don't...censorship.
[doublepost=1464028694][/doublepost]
It matters because it's used as an excuse not to change it, we should all agree that we need to do more to move to greener, more sustainable energy and the sooner we put our efforts towards it the better.
Really? Ask the people who think climate change is not man made and ask if they still think we should be greener. I don't think you will get much argument. I know you won't from me.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Yep, you got it. Teach one side only. That is the progressive way. Freedom to think, and be taught with an open mind...as long as you agree with us. If you don't...censorship.
If we all thought like that we would still be teaching how humans walked with dinosaurs.

Reactions: steve knight

Renzatic

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
Think of it more like this: we all know that the sun is a gigantic mass of incandescent plasma, a fusion engine of incredible efficiency. We have plenty of science backing it up. We've created small scale models for a few seconds here on Earth by putting the theories surrounding its inception and processes into action.

Now say some people choose to believe that the sun is a massive chariot, drawn by fiery horses across the sky. There aren't too many of them, but there's enough out there to demand we teach it in schools. They believe it's only fair to teach this alternative interpretation of the sun, that they shouldn't be silenced because most people believe another way. The controversy should be taught!

In this situation, which should you say we should do? Should we teach the process that the solid supporting evidence, or should we teach both because some people choose to believe otherwise, contrary to the evidence?

Reactions: CalWizrd

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
well yeah, the climate has been changing for the past 6k years.
The climate is always changing. The problem is that it's changing way too quickly right now. Not reacting now will screw over our decendents. That's ****** sociopathic!

And please, do not bother responding if all you're going to do is give the same old horse **** about carbon credits.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
The climate is always changing. The problem is that it's changing way too quickly right now. Not reacting now will screw over our decendents. That's ****** sociopathic!
can you be kind enough to show me something that will work? neither the dems nor the repubs want us to be using something other that fossil fuels unless they can figure out a way to tax the living crap out of it. so what do you think needs to be done at the GOVT level?

Reactions: tshrimp

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Who was it that banned flat earth believers their say in public school texts? Probably some Liberal hippie.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Democrats love to yap about it while doing nothing at the same time.
OK, I wasn't making it political. We could easily do something about it, while solving some economic and political problems at the same time. Vice ran a story on the new nuclear reactors that run on old nuclear waste. We could rebuild the grid, get off of foreign oil, faze out fossil fuels.....etc. But both parties would rather bomb other countries and then rebuild them instead.

Reactions: jkcerda

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
OK, I wasn't making it political. We could easily do something about it, while solving some economic and political problems at the same time. Vice ran a story on the new nuclear reactors that run on old nuclear waste. We could rebuild the grid, get off of foreign oil, faze out fossil fuels.....etc. But both parties would rather bomb other countries and then rebuild them instead.
we only rebuild the countries we want, all we did was bomb Libya and the left it.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Visit site
It proves that everyone in Oregon is stupid. And Portland is not weird; it's just full of millennial hipsters.
Quite incorrect. Portland is full of:
A. Rich Californians
B. Ex-hipsters, now with at least one kid and one dog.
C. Real Estate agents (presumably with housing prices)

Reactions: ericgtr12