PORTRAIT mode secondary monitor for 27" iMac - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ieeeeee, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ieeeeee macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I'm a new owner of a 27" iMac and I am loving it so far. Coming from a 22" dual-screen PC setup I am digging the extra resolution, but can't quite bring myself to ditch the second screen. At the same time, 27" + 22" side-by-side is a bit awkward.

So I was thinking of getting a monitor I can flip into vertical/portrait mode as a neat compromise.

Thus I have been on a quest to find the ideal monitor for this task. Requirements are simply:
    • must be able to rotate and operate vertically (preferably on its own stand)
    • must roughly match the 27" imac in both resolution and physical dimensions
    Of course if it matches the iMac aesthetically as well that is a definite plus.

I'm sure others have experimented with such a setup so I am keen to hear some opinions!

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

There are displays that match the physical size (roughly 43cm in height if I'm not mistaken), however you will have to major problems.

Those displays (17" to 19") have a different DPI (<100 whereas the 27" display has 109), which looks odd. The biggest issue, however, is the panel type of those displays.
    For a portrait display you NEED a PVA or IPS panel. TN simply isn't good enough as their vertical viewing angles are ridiculously small, resulting in massive colour changes when you move your head.

I tried it once with a 20" TN panel from Dell besides my 30" Cinema and it really was a waste of money. Switched to two IPS 20" Dell displays a few weeks later. Don't make the same mistake as I did and buy a decent display in the first place.

3. ieeeeee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Which 20" Dell screens do you have? I found the 2007FP but it seems verrry pricey at $599 AUD!

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's exactly the display I use. One on each flank of the 30".

Great displays but with 100DPI and a panel height of 41cm (+2cm for the bezels) not a perfect match for your 27".
    If you're fine with that, though, you can look out for the HP LP2065. Same panel as the 2007FP and maybe a little cheaper.

BTW: The 43cm height of the 27" I said before can't be right.