Portugal's Parliament Passes Gay Marriage Vote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/08/world/AP-EU-Portugal-Gay-Marriage.html?_r=1

Breaking news... :)

The article doesn't say if the left bloc has enough power to break a veto, but given Socrates's success with the abortion ban, who knows? Obrigado, Lisbon. :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

According to a poorly cited Wiki article, parliament needs a 2/3 majority to override a veto. Quick searches yielded no confirmation nor refutation of this.

Looking for recent recorded votes, the only posted information on the Assembly site was a bill memorializing the death of two founders of a right wing party. If voting was inline with party affiliation, and split left/right (as again defined in Wiki - my familiarity with the party politics there is close to nil), then you are looking at a 128-102 left-right split.

Based on this, I feel confident in stating that it would not override a veto. Please note that my analysis rests on two wiki articles and makes two major assumptions based on that material. Also, please remember that Silva has been in power since 2006, and thus was in place for the abortion bill, indicating that a veto is not assured.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Portugal just legalized gay marriage

I know most of you don't care about what happens in Portugal, such a tiny country, whatever, but I'm happy. :)

Full article here.

6. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right -- that's what I obliquely meant. It appears that, one way or another, Socrates got abortion past Silva, so maybe it won't be an issue.

EDIT: Sofia's link has some interesting additional details (I'm being selective here, because these were things I didn't know about Portugal).

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's not celebrate til this actually goes through. It can still be vetoed.

8. Queso macrumors G4

I have good feelings about this going through, even with the President threatening a veto :)

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I have a good feeling about it too. :)

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Congratulations! It's always rewarding to see formerly conservative countries turn around. It must make you feel good inside to know that Portugal can now be counted amongst the more socially progressive countries.

I wish I could say the same for my country...:(

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I am really happy because Portugal isn't usually like that. We're usually followers, not leaders. It's nice to see a change like that. :)