Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Very cool, I'll be getting this. A great compliment to Lightwave for generating quick humans and movements....been waiting for this since it was announced a while back..

D:D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mr. Anderson is Poser something that an amateur can use. What kind of learning curve does it have?

vitruvius

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
mmm pretty cool, ive been waiting this version for a long time, the new features are impresive. hey wdlove in its beguinings Poser was a very intuitive software to model humans had a similar interface of all MetaCreation ( R.I.P.) Apps (ex. Bryce), but with every new release its been getting complex, but i guess that if u have a minimal 3D work knowledge u can use it, although ive heard it has a not so easy learning curve.

also interesting is this page

DAZ3D

they made great models for poser:)

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
It's about friggin' time! Curious Labs has been working on an OSX version forever. I hope it is as good as the old Mac product. I haven't seen this version that has been availible on PC for awhile, but I glad to finally see its release.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Poser is for cheaters, wimps, and people without a lick of creativity....but then again Im just biased.

Poser is to CG like Cliff's Notes is to Shakespeare.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by agreenster
Poser is for cheaters, wimps, and people without a lick of creativity....but then again Im just biased.

hear hear!

or.

here here!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

True - but for some things - illustration and such, its a very easy way to get things set up. I'm not going to use if for my animations, LW has great IK and character animation features. This is just for work so I can get 'people' in the illustration with the least amount of effort and time possible.

D

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I wish there was a way for me to get into the 3d modelling world without spending an arm and a leg (i've got enough bills as it is) and without occupying every single speck of free time to learn. With all my design work, audio editing, and now moving into 30 second commercial broadcast editing, I don't have a lot of time to throw around.

But that's not to say I want to have the quick cheap way around, like poser, either. But I see Mr. A's point - quick way to get around a long and arduous process, while not relying on it full-time.

Poser's people look too CG for me...

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco

Not everyone is a CG professional, perhaps it would be better to say Poser is for the rest of us, dare I say it ... the posers.

creativeczar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2002
If not Poser, then what?

Question posed to the CG professionals on this message board. I have used Poser in the past and would like to graduate to something more creative and dare I say, more challenging.

Would you recommend Maya or Lightwave or Cinema 4D?

Thanks for any recommendations you might be able to provide.:)

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp

Poser is to 3D graphics what lens flares and 'twirls' are to Photoshop work... :D

Rocket Rion

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Austin
Poser is just a tool like any other computer program. That's all.

I imagine the old school Disney 2D animaters could turn up their noses snobbishly at Pixar for not being real animators...the same way you guys are treating Poser.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by Rocket Rion

I imagine the old school Disney 2D animaters could turn up their noses snobbishly at Pixar for not being real animators...the same way you guys are treating Poser.

Pixar creates their own models, the exact way they want them to look based on a lot of concept drawings. They don't say: "this is how it looks because of the software we use". They have a creative vision and adapt their software if needs be.

The whole premise of Poser is not creation but tweaking... it is easy to produce 'something' quickly, but how much of it do you really control ? Sure, you can get some pretty cool models for Poser, but they were created in a different app in the first place. And probably by a different person, too.

The only use I can see for such a program would be to complement other techniques, for example if you need some cheap characters in an architectural rendering (make sure to use transparency or blur to 'mask' them a bit) or as a base for some 2D Photoshop work (human scale) for example.

But to create a gloryfied rendering of a character that is not your own (like 95% of the poser 'art' out there) is hardly more than playing with dolls on your computer...

I am a snob, I know :D

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by Rocket Rion

Untrue. Completely. Pixar makes ALL of their stuff from SCRATCH, not by pressing a button. I dont think thats a very good analogy. I agree that a paintbrush is just as much of a tool as a computer is, but a piece of software that does the work for you (or that someone else designed and published as a piece of software) is not even close to the same thing as just using a different medium for animation. I still think its funny when people think computer animation is EASIER than traditional animation. In fact, it is much harder, but the results are much better. So, the labor vs outcome ratio is better in computer animation, but the level of work is more technically difficult.

But to equate Pixar to Poser is an out and out SIN. You are going straight to hell. :p

Originally posted by DukeStreet, er Mr. Anderson
True - but for some things - illustration and such, its a very easy way to get things set up. I'm not going to use if for my animations, LW has great IK and character animation features. This is just for work so I can get 'people' in the illustration with the least amount of effort and time possible.

I know, I know. I just wanted to place my 2 cents in the slot about how much I dont like Poser....

Originally posted by Mudbug
I wish there was a way for me to get into the 3d modelling world without spending an arm and a leg (i've got enough bills as it is) and without occupying every single speck of free time to learn.

Funniest thing I've heard all day. While we are wishing, I want my own 3D studio completely equipped with G5's, and the most brilliant writers on the planet at my disposal, with the highest budget known to man...

Seriously though, take a night class. You dont have to pay for software, have good instructioin, and only takes up about 3 hours a week.
:confused:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I know, I know. I just wanted to place my 2 cents in the slot about how much I dont like Poser....

Seriously though, take a night class. You dont have to pay for software, have good instructioin, and only takes up about 3 hours a week.
:confused:

Ha, well, yeah, Poser is a cheat, but with the people I'm dealing with they wouldn't even know the difference from Poser and something I did in Lightwave. They're more interested in results.

As for time and 3D animation - its so much better than it used to be. I remember having to wait so much significantly longer for a rendering to finish - and for something that wasn't even texture mapped!

Now you can get a fast rendering that lets you know if your animation is smooth, correct and what you wanted.

I can still make things painful in terms of rendering, but its really nice to have a choice :D

D

vitruvius

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
when time rushes

sometimes time rushes and i dont have time to model my own human models, indeed its a very complex task for me since im an architect and graphic designer and im better modeling "geometric" inanimated stuff than organic stuff. a tool isnt creative by itself it depends on the hands of the one that uses it. anyway this is a nice discussion

this is one of my works that uses Poser,enjoy it:

creativeczar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2002
still looking for feedback

Can anyone shed some light on the best 3D modeler?

Maya?
Lightwave?
Cinema 4D?

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Mr. Anderson will tell you Lightwave
Agreenster will tell you Maya
Agreenster used to say Cinema4D (until he met and fell in love with Maya)

Really, anything you use will be fine. If you are really serious about getting to fine film work, use Maya. But Mr. Anderson might disagree.

creativeczar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2002
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback regarding Maya and Lightwave.

Maya now has the Maya 5 PLE out, so that helps those of us with a desire to learn, but no budget to make a commitment to own right now.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I have the Maya 5 PLE. Would I be better off trying to learn that program? Does Poser still have an advantage?

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
It is a bit like comparing learning oil painting vs. painting by numbers. Painting by numbers can be fun, you get instant gratification and you can still be creative (hey, you can pick the colors and even paint accross numbers). But your creative freedom is still very limited.

Now, whatever rocks your boat...

[WHISPER] learn maya [/WHISPER]

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.