Possibility Of A Mac Mini Update On Sept 9th Along with the iPods.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by NyMetsFan08, Sep 2, 2008.

1. NyMetsFan08 macrumors regular

Hey again everyone !!! well it has been confirmed that Sept 9th is the Apple Special Event. I have a feeling that Apple may mix things up at this event if this is only a Mac Mini Update along with the New iPods it would seem right. There has been more rumors that this could be possible. Who knows? What do you think?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well the Mac mini was quietly updated at the iMac event last year. It's possible...

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I very much doubt it. This event is not about the Mac, it never really has been. iPods a-go-go though, the Mac might get it's own event later on or the usual web-release but I doubt it will share any time with the iPod this time around.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

5. rfruth macrumors regular

rfruth

Oh they'll mix things up but you've got a non price sensitiveive group so why go the practicle route ?

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

A mac mini update will come soon, I doubt it will arrive this tuesday mainly due to the event looking like it has 100% focus on iTunes and iPods.

We shall see,

ShadoW

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Who know's. "Let's Rock" could mean a Mini with HDMI, if you stretch a bit (ok, more than a bit). ;)

8. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

I don't think HDMI is that much a stretch. Dell (Yes I said it) just released the Studio Hybrid which has HDMI and really is a direct competitor to the Mac Mini. It also has BluRay support simply because Windows has HDCP. Anyways.....let us hope and dream.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

HDCP is more of a hardware than software issue.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I tend to think Apple would not want to add HDMI to the Mac Mini because that would make it more appealing to HTPC use and Apple already has a (psuedo) one of those - the :apple:tv.

If Apple is just moving the Mac Mini to the Santa Rosa platform (which would be insulting at this point, frankly), then they'll just announce it on some random Tuesday with no fan-fare.

What I am hoping, however, is that the Mini will adopt the same platform that the MacBook Pro and MacBook do. So once those two models launch (likely on the same day), the new Mac Mini will hopefully be announced at the same time ("One More Thing") so people know about it. It would likely hurt sales if they just stealth upgraded it, since many would assume it's still using the old platform.

11. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Oh I know that, HDCP is all hardware. Given an update to the 4500 from Intel, then the hardware is good to go, then 10.5.6 is the part we'd have to wait on.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fixed?

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

@OP: No!

Besides it doesnt seem Apple is whole heartedly interested in it any more!

14. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

According to rumors, 10.5.6 is when BluRay will be supported by OSX.

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

And you know the next event, they'll put out a snow leopard looking invite, but only talk about the iPhone...

Come on OP, the only chatter coming in is of MB and MBP updates atm, and thats october.

If it is updated, it'll be like the update to C2D processors, a silent one.

16. pantherman007 macrumors newbie

Well, another Apple Event has come and gone, and nothing on the Mini. Nothing in the presentation, no silent upgrades on the store, nothing. Even a casual mention that you were planning to keep this product alive would have kept me interested and waiting. But I've waited long enough and am moving on.

Apple - you've lost the chance to get at least one person back into the Mac world. With even small updates to the graphics and wireless network I would have jumped on the chance to buy a couple of Minis for home theater use. Now I'll be going with the Dell Studio Hybrid or Aopen mini route.

17. miamimac11 macrumors newbie

Very disappointed. All the rumors of update from Mar '08. How could they be so wrong. I won't buy the current mini - it's way too slow, and I don't want an Imac as I have a beautiful 22" lcd screen. How long would you wait, before making a move?

18. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Watch eBay, they have 2.33Ghz Mini's on there sometimes.....

19. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Assuming Apple intends to update the Mac Mini (and I want to believe they do), if they announce it now, then everyone is going to bitch about why the MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac aren't being updated with the new goodies. :D

If Apple does not announce a new Mini within a week of the MacBook + MacBook Pro update event (and I want to believe they will announce it at that event, as well), then I expect the line will die out once stock is depleted.

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sooo are we going to see anything?? got dad convinced to buy one!! just waiting for the update.. come on apple!

21. NyMetsFan08 thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like the Mac Mini Update has been lost. Maybe there is something new in the making that will knock off the mac mini that is why they are not updating it. If it was going to be updated when do you think it will see that any ideas days and days go by and still no mini update.

22. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I don't know about you guys, but I haven't seen a mini on the refurb site in a long time. If it dies, I'll go shuttle/hackintosh. If it doesn't, I'll drop a grand on a 4500 based model,with HDMI, 4 gigs of ram and a modern processor.

I really don't want to spend my "honeydo" time rigging a hackintosh, but a Sunday is a Sunday. I bought one of the first run of mini's over 2 years ago. And sadly I really don't see any need to upgrade to the current model. That would cost another Sunday, and 100 bucks to do by myself.

All and all, I believe the negligence of the mini is what makes hackintosh such a "no brainer" idea

after more scotch edit:

You have until Thanksgiving Apple!!!! This is from a man who has bought a brand new mac from you every 3 years since before the fall of the Soviet Union. The AIO concept is for amateurs, and I have specific tastes in displays. My son loves his imac but he only uses it for kiddy games. I have no need for a pro, and find that since it is the 21st century that desktops too bulky and only serve as space heaters.

Is there anyone else who doesn't want a mac pro on the mantle of their fireplace? I only want to watch espn360 and hulu. Hell, lack of blue ray is the least of my problems with Apple!

23. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Just bought a Refurbed Mini couple weeks ago....

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

pretty sure that a MP WOULD be your fireplace!

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Am suprised if there are people able to leak ipod info, why journalists etc haven't been really pushing to find out more about potential dates for Mac events/updates. Mini included.