Possibility of expresscard slot on 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snieto2001, Feb 24, 2010.

1. snieto2001 macrumors newbie

Hello. First of all, sorry for my bad English.

I want to buy a notebook (my first one). A macbook pro. I know that 17" model has the expresscard slot, and 15" has SD card instead. I'd like to know:

Can the 15" model be equipped with expresscard slot? (that is, substitute SD by expresscard).

If not, does any adaptor/converter exist on the market?

Apart, which one is better (is more usable/useful), SD slot or expresscard slot?

A 17" is a bit big for me, but if it has a slot more useful, and it's impossible to fit on the 15" model, I'll buy it (probably refurbished: outdated in few weeks, but cheaper).

Thanks in advance. Sergio.

2. bsizz234 macrumors member

as far as i know it is impossible to get the expresscard/34 slot in the 15" unibody.

the expresscard is way more versatile, but its usefulness depends on what you're doing: I have a pre-unibody 15" (which did have the xpresscard) and I've never used it. however, you can use it for SSDs, just about any other port you want (eSATA, FW, USB, serial...), TV tuner, or an SD (or the like) card reader. Personally, an SD slot would be more useful, even though it's not as versatile. (I know, I could put a card reader in my expresscard slot but I just haven't sprung for one.)

hope this helps!

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Can't substitute.
    Don't know of any adapters/converters.
    "Which one is better" depends on how you put it to use. Generally, I would say that if you don't know how you would use the port right now, I imagine that you don't need it enough to alter your choice of which laptop to use.

Just as an FYI, two example uses of the ExpressCard slot are to connect an eSATA port and to use an ExpressCard SSD.