Possible dead airport card in MacPro 5.1, what are my options?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macshroomer, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I still need to do a couple of re-sets like P-ram, etc. but as it stands right now, I think the wifi card on my MacPro 5.1, 3.33 ( 3.46 ) is toast. My connection has been getting pretty slow over the past month and then today I noticed my screen was dark and could not be woken back up. So I did a hard restart and now the wifi signal indicator is greyed out and says hardware not found when I click on it.

Aside from getting a replacement card which there seem to be plenty of, what are my options for this in possibly upgrading it to a faster one without some form of hack?

Faster is always better but I can live with the standard speed as this is generally not on the web, only for SW updates and such.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Since most Mac Pros stay in one place why not hardwire it with 1000BaseT? A lot faster speed than WiFi. My philosophy is to hardwire any device that sits in one place all the time.

3. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

It's on a second floor and the router / cable is on the 1st floor and this simply has no way of changing, so it has to be wireless. I think I am just getting another of the same card since this machine does not do any web, streaming, etc.

4. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've found creative ways to run ethernet cable so it's not visible. However if you don't want to go to the trouble you could also use a Airport Express as a network extender and plug its ethernet port into the MP. At $100 it's a fairly low cost and easy solution.

6. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Airport Express will limit the speed to 100Mb/s. Homeplug may be a better option.

7. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

I don't see what makes running an Ethernet cable impossible. You can get flat cables that can be tucked into the edge of a room between wall & carpet. In one house I lived in I just dropped a cable out the first floor window & back in the ground floor window.

8. Neanderphil macrumors member

Neanderphil

Try this

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/802.11ac_Mac_adapters.html#edimaxAC450_OSX

http://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC68/

No official support, but it's supposed to be plug n play.

9. Macshroomer thread starter macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Well, you can't see what the problem is because you don't live here, it's simply not an option.

10. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Have you tried my recommendation of reseating the card?

11. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

12. Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

13. scott.n macrumors 6502

You can also use the Airport cards from iMacs. My go-to card for adding wifi to 2009 Mac Pros is part number 661-5946, the card from the 2011 21" iMac. This is the only official Apple card that I know of that can use all three of the Mac Pro's wifi antennae.

14. Neanderphil macrumors member

Neanderphil

My bad, I had meant to link to a review of the AC68 which is at the top of that post.

Here is the fixed link. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/802.11ac_Mac_adapters.html

I just got an Archer T9E PCI card. http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_Archer-T9E.html

It's working perfectly at the moment out of the box in El Capitan. I don't have an AC router yet but my N 5Ghz speeds jumped from about 160Mbps to 300Mbps.