Possible for Apple to let us upgrade the video card in their notebook line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Techsavyfreak, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

Would that be possible for Apple to let us upgrade the graphics card in the Macbook and MacBook Pro lines, like you can do with the Mac Pro? Or is this not possible because its somehow "glued" to the processors (like the MBA)? Because it really sucks the only way to get a better graphics card is to spend more money on the better processors.

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

No, not possible- at least in the foreseeable future.

The GPU is soldered onto the logic board, and it is definitely not user replacable. In order to replace the graphics card, the entire logic board needs to be changed.

3. Techsavyfreak thread starter macrumors member

but would it be possible for apple to come out with a little bit more variety of graphics options. like the online apple store has popular configurations? i dont know, i just think it would have been nice to get a little bit better graphics card in a $2000 computer.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's one of the distinctive features of Apple. They offer a rather specific set of hardware, as opposed to a broad selection of stuff. It's probably not going to change any time soon; if you need a high-end graphics card (or improved customizability) in a notebook, there's no question: go with a PC.

5. Techsavyfreak thread starter macrumors member

well, the graphics card get the job done, so I'm fine with it; but I'm still confused about one thing, the difference between GDDR2 and GDDR3. I know know GDDR3 is newer and faster, but by how much?