Possible Iphone 5 home button issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krashx7, Oct 28, 2012.

1. krashx7 macrumors regular

touch your finger nail to your home button and gentle move it around in a circular motion. Do you hear and feel a slight crackling noise? The button works just fine and there is no noise when I press it normal. I was just playing around with the phone and I scratched over the home button to remove some gunk off of it and found this strange thing about my phone. is the button sort of padded on top or something?

----------

I just got out my 3gs and it doesnt do this.. I think I have a loose home button. I sure am tired of going back to the apple store for this phone.

2. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

can somebody just try this with their phone so I'll know if its an issue or not?

3. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Obviously not an issue.:)

4. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Yours has some wiggle. Others may too. But "it" does not always have wiggle or make noise. Suggest just enjoying the phone.

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

When you buy a car do you worry about whether the door handle might make a little noise when wiggled? A defect means something doesn't work, not that something designed to move might make some noise when doing so. If your home button works, there is no defect.

AppleCare would ensure that no matter what, you're covered for failures. Why not just go that route and rest easy? Perfection isn't going to be found in anything produced by the millions, wouldn't you agree?

7. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

I paid 850 dollars for this. I dont want a home button that goes out in a few months people. I just want to know if its normal for this iphone model. Thats it... geez I dont need a lesson on life. Get over yourself.

8. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

No crackling noise here.

9. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Just got my phone 2 days ago, and I don't have that feeling.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

It does not matter how much you paid for it. If it is working, use it. Some have a little more play than normal. If it stops working, it is covered under warranty. If you do not relax a little bit you will never enjoy the device.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

A defect can amount to working today but prematurely failing in one year from now. I think it's a legitimate concern and reasonable question. My iPhone 4's home button was failing when I replaced it with the I5. Since I use Siri I assume I'll be pressing the home button even more than the I4, so it reasonably follows to have some concern over the long term reliability of it.

Is your real point the op shouldn't post his/her concern? If you don't find any value in the thread why not just back out of it? There's a diverse audience in this community, wouldn't you agree?

12. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Just use the phone like normal, it has a one year warranty. If something happens and it stops working take it in, they will replace it for free with in the first year. Assuming you don't have AppleCare +, if you do then it's covered for 2 years.

13. SwimmingPool macrumors newbie

My home button does have that noise. But, guess what? I don't care. It works fine. If it ever does break I have that one year warranty.

Just enjoy your new iPhone 5.

14. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

15. dotme macrumors 6502a

Not at all. My point is that under a microscope or any other form of intense scrutiny, flaws can be found in just about anything. That doesn't translate automatically into a defect.

The OP, if concerned, should walk in to an Apple store and explain to them that while the home button "works just fine", it "makes a slight crackling noise" when he/she "gently moves it around in a circular motion"

Then the OP can post a follow up here to let us all know how that went.

16. itjw macrumors 65816

"I spent money therefore it must be flawless"

Sums up 99% of "defect" threads.

If it works, it isn't defective. They never advertised: "we strive to ensure 100% similarity of home button feel!"

Does it work? Has it broken?

Your concern is that many like this HAVE broken?

What???

17. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

My concern is that this isnt normal and that it could break over time. Yeah the phone is under warranty for a year. What if the button hangs in there till just over a year then quits working? I have to pay for a repair! No thanks. I'll get it replaced. Ive already had one replacement for wifi issues. Another for a scratched screen(yeah they swapped it out for free) so I dont see this being a problem either.

18. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Your worrying about something that will probably never happen. But it's your time and money do what you want. I don't think it's an issue.

19. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

1) You do not have the knowledge or tools to predict when your home button will cease functioning. Making guesstimates on such a date only reveals the level of your OCD.

2) Is what normal? If you take your fingernail and lightly move it around your home button does it make a crackle sound/feel? This sounds like the ramblings of a mad man.

20. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

lol thats what it does though

21. sevendust macrumors newbie

you asked in forums so definitely they will answer you with what they think. if your not comfortable with it, go directly to apple store and check their samples there or better yet replace it.

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Fair enough. Please forgive the tone of my post. It was uncalled for.