Possible iPhone 6 Feature Nobody Is Mentioning...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasonc11, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jasonc11 macrumors newbie

Apple glazed very quickly over the "Hey, Siri" feature during the WWDC keynote.

As I understand it this will only currently work if an iPhone is plugged in...however if Apple add's discrete listening capabilities to the A8 then this could work anytime even when not plugged in making it an additional selling point for the iPhone 6.

Thoughts?

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed, as I haven't seen it in the forum.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It is certainly a possibility and one that I had forgotten about too.

3. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Oh yeah. I totally forgot.

I probably will never use it anyway, luxury feature. (Kinda like the siri is a luxury.)

4. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

It will probably be a major battery killer.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That would be, quite likely, the biggest drawback of such a feature. They would truly need to come up with an innovative way to mitigate the power consumption of a feature that is always listening for key words.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

This 100%.

90%+ of people will disable this as part of their battery conservation measures.

:apple:

7. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

Seems like it could be handy in the car while plugged into a car charger. Responding and listening to texts, setting reminders, playing music etc.

Or am I missing something?

8. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I forgot, but yeah I'm kinda expecting this to happen. It wouldn't be a battery drainer if it was baked into the A8. Some Android phones have this capability already.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

The idea here is probably that something dedicated would be there in the iPhone 6 hardware that wouldn't make it much of a strain on the battery--similar to how Moto X and possibly a few other Android phones have it set up with "OK Google".

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Incorrect. Apple has followed the Moto X model with a dedicated core to active listening. Even phones like the Nexus 5 without a dedicated core is able to listen for the Google Now command while the phone is on or plugged in (whereas the Moto X can listen even in sleep mode. I anticipate Apple will allow for this as well.)

As for battery drain. It is so minimal, it isn't even noticable.

11. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

We will see.

12. iBanker macrumors regular

I was also thinking that there would be similar or new Siri enhancements due to the tagline "Wish we could say more" - what if it really does allow you to say more? Would have to be something big though to be relevant.

13. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Apple has been using the Nuance owned speech recognition system since Siri was added to the iPhone. This is the same speech recognition program that both Samsung and Motorola use for their active listening. Nuance gets royalties from all 3 companies.

Here is the interesting part: Apple hired 3 high profile people last year that worked directly for Microsoft in the Cortana program and Nuance. Looks like Apple might be kicking Nuance to the curb and going with their own back end system. "Wish we could say more."

14. Iphonedai macrumors member

agree with most.. will likely disable it lol!

15. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I don't have elec engineering background.. but these sound like famous last words. With a paltry ~ 1800mAh battery the more "tiny" drains will quickly kill the battery on the 4.7" IMHO.

:apple:

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's not an issue on Android, and if Motorola could do it, I am thinking Apple can too lol.

Then again maybe not. Moto has some killer battery life. But they also seen value in placing a large battery into their flagships.

----------

As I (and the person you quoted) mentioned, this has already been done on other phones. The battery drain doesn't even register in battery management. That translates to things like the screen, processor, and just about everything else the phone has in it draining more power than this thing.

Also, you can turn it off.

17. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

A lot of people here missed the OPs point.

Apple would introduce another coprocessor to handle this. The MOTO X is always listening for a key phrase, AND it only reacts to the device owners voice. It doesn't impact the battery.

Much like the iphone 5S is always tracking steps with the M7 chip. You can't turn it off, even if you don't have apps installed to see the data, it's still tracking steps. And it doesn't effect battery life.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

Or this function goes in the m8 or maybe apple something else planned.

19. Zxxv Suspended

I'd use it at home for hue lighting. Siri I'm going toilet = all lights on route to bathroom turn red. I prferr red for night vision.

Hey Siri I'm going bed. Turn off all my home theatre , dims the lights on a ten minute timer to give me time to brush teeth etc

I'm sure there's more but hey Siri looks an interesting feature for my uses just not overly keen on having to plug my iPhone in to use it cause means I'll need to buy a dock and I don't fancy shouting hey Siri I'm going toilet how many ducking times are you listening or what (from a other room) haha

20. I7guy macrumors G5

I see your point on why this feature would be extremely valuable. #

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I think that Moto puts it all in one. In the Motorola X8 processor, there are dual main CPU cores, four GPU cores, a low power context core (for determining what's happening with the sensors, like the Apple M7 chip), and a low power speech recognition core that's always on.

True, but Samsung was supposedly in talks to purchase Nuance, which might have scared Apple into moving away from it. So perhaps the news is Apple coming up with their own voice recognition engine?

I could imagine Apple showing off something listening to multiple people at a time and picking out your voice. Or simply recognizing that there are other people around and displaying notifications differently, etc.

22. Zxxv Suspended

Someone just said to me after I shared what I wrote earlier in the topic.

Siri will inform you soon; like going taking a **** or something ha #

Made me think she'll then start saying

you need to take a **** you always take a **** at this time. What is wrong with you. Shall I call a doctor. Would you like some assistance haha

And they replied

The problem ; siri will call the doctor automaticly if not replying and that same siri message goes straight to your health insurance who then may stop paying for further complications in the future;; be careful my friend, be water and fill the cup

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

If Apple to implement such a thing I doubt it would be on the A8. If anything it would be on the M8.