Possible Mac Malware/Trojan/Virus — Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by civicman76, Oct 15, 2009.

1. civicman76 macrumors newbie

Hi i'm new to the forum, but I had a question about my mac. I recently tried watching a TV episode off of megavideo and when i tried watching, a popup came up and i couldn't close it. i ended up force quitting out of firefox, only to find that the window came up again, so i quit firefox again. Now, whenever i open up firefox, the browser window opens to my normal home page, but only appears off to the right side of my screen, as if i four-finger swiped it off to the right side on my macbook.

whenever i try to click on the window, it merely goes back to the side. does anyone have any suggestions for what i can do? or any ideas of what this could be? i ended up removing firefox from my computer since it was basically rendered useless, but i still prefer firefox over safari. is there a way i can re-install firefox and get rid of the malware? or should i just stick with safari? by the way, nothing else on my computer hasn't been affected i don't think. any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well you can rule out malware of any sort. One thing to try, click the green button among the traffic light buttons in the upper-left of the window. If that doesn't help, delete your Firefox profile and you should be good to go, though you may want to backup your bookmarks first. Your profile is located at ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/.

3. civicman76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! i followed your advice and firefox is back up and running like before. thanks for your help!