Possible McCain-Bush Ticket?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Feb 11, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is about as likely as the Obama-Clinton ticket, not gonna happen. McCain just like Obama knows that anything with the name Bush or Clinton is suicide.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I really hope that we don't have a McCain-Bush ticket, because then we would be stuck with another Bush if McCain doesn't make it through the next 4 years.

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i hope they do.
    certainly even arch-conservative couldn't bring themselves to vote another Bush into the Whitehouse.

5. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

You are assuming the really really really really unlikely scenario that McCain actually wins. ;)

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think McCain knows that if he wants to win he has to distance himself from anything Bush.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I still think that if Hillary gets the democratic nomination all of the Republicans would come out to vote for anyone to keep her out of office so McCain has a decent chance if that ends up being the case. And I also don't want any chance however slim that another Bush gets into office.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If that happens, I'll start filling out applications for citizenship for random countries until one accepts me.

9. stevegmu macrumors regular

McCain-Bush? Not a chance. More likely McCain-Giuliani.

McCain can beat H. Clinton, but probably not B. Obama.

McCain-Lieberman would be interesting.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think Hillary would lose to McCain in most circumstances. However, certain running mates would make McCain less palatable to the moderates and independents. I think Jeb is #1 on this list. I also think Giulliani is on that list given his performance in the primaries.

I think Bush or Giulliani as a running mate would assure McCain's defeat no matter who the Dems put up.

11. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

he's going to have a hard time doing that now as W. has all but endorsed him calling him a "true conservative".

bush isn't a true conservative imo. they believe in small gov't spending and bush is pushing a $3,000,000,000,000 budget.
    edit: not to mention when we're already $9,000,000,000,000 in the hole.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think McCain will use W to an extent to help him with in the party. Then distance himself as the race heats up.

14. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

McCain has not got a chance. I would bet money he will lose, and lose by a *lot*.

I think not being a US citizen gives me an edge in this in that a lot of you folks seem to have blinders on in regards what the "mood" of the world is right now. Especially in regards the whole War/Fascism thing.

The big reason McCain hasn't got a chance is not his nutbar idea to reverse Roe v. Wade, it's that whole "100 years of War" thing he is trying to push. It's patently obvious to me as an outside observer that even the average US citizen may be a tiny bit fed up with War lately. No candidate that is in favor of the War, and expanding the War, can possibly win IMO.

As Rod Serling would say, consider the following:

- Obama is winning all over the place and he is running as "the only candidate that opposed the war." That's his main thing.

- Hillary may not make the nomination now. Her biggest negative? "She voted for the war."

- Huge amounts (*landslide* amounts), of US soldiers polled in Iraq are voting for Obama.

The War in Iraq and the "War on Terror" are the number one issues on the electorates minds this time. Almost none of these soldiers, when polled, said anything about McCain the "war hero." Most of them don't believe in the War at all anymore. Consider also that the US is in the middle of a recession right now and no one cares about that even half as much as they care about the war issue. At least that's what the polls say.

No way McCain can gather more than a small minority of people willing to give up even more freedom, and burn up even more of the USA's future on a "never-ending" war at this point. The Republicans have already lost, it's just a matter of who is standing there when it's announced.

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

As a native resident of Florida, I can assure you that Jeb Bush is the biggest ass of all the Bushes. He ruled Florida like it was his moral imperative to play God in our state, and played political cards like a true professional. He has his eye on the white house, no doubt. He sucks on environmental issues... aw never mind the rant- he just sux take my word for it.:cool: As a registered republican, I will only vote for McCain/anybody if Hillary gets the Dem nomination. I want Obama.;)

16. stevegmu macrumors regular

Most of us don't care about what 'mood' the world is in. We want our mansions, gas guzzlers, and big-screen TVs. The war has been pushed aside for fears of the economy, and the fact that the troop surge has been working.

You have any sources? Nearly everyone I know who is in the military, who I have spoken with concerning the subject, favors McCain. If he wins in Virginia tomorrow, it will be because of the military vote.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'expanding the war', or 'giving up more freedom'. We aren't going to invade Iran. We have more freedoms than any large, developed country in the world.

According to the latest polls, Clinton and McCain are pretty much much dead even, should they be the candidates for President.

17. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Die hard republicans want Clinton, since that will get out the republican voters.:eek:

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

news flash: those in the US elect their presidents. not the world. the mood of the US is what matters. and its not focused on the war right now, its all about the economy. i'm sure the war will come back into play for the general election, but right now if hillary were to win the dem nom it'd be a very close call against mccain. plain and simple.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I am a US Citizen... I live outside of Dallas, TX. I think you underestimate just how much the GOP faithful hate the Clintons, and how hard they would work to keep Hillary out of the White House. I think Hillary vs McCain is a close race provided McCain picks a good running mate. I think Obama McCain will not be a landslide but I think Obama would not have a difficult time winning.

If there's anything I've learned in the elections of 2000 and 2004 (and this year's Super Bowl) it's that you shouldn't take victory for granted. Gore should have walked into the White house with a handy victory given the state of the economy and the fact he was the heir apparent of the administration in charge during the economic growth. Kerry should have walked into the WH with the war going poorly, the fact that we still don't have Osama bin Ladin, and people were generally dissatisfied with Bush, but he managed to lose too.

Too many people strongly dislike Hillary, and with the possibility of Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton, for the WH for 20+ years there will be a lot of people who will swing to McCain just to get some new blood in the WH. If you think Roe v. Wade will be the undoing of any candidate, you weren't paying attention in the last 2 elections.

20. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

This is happening if a Republican wins.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Are you kidding me?

This country probably has less freedoms when compared to every other industrialized nation in the world.

I realize you're probably a troll and won't read any of this, and only reply with a snide comment that probably resembles something like "I don't care." or "It's a liberal conspiracy", but I can't let you get away with this.

Press

According to Reporters Without Borders, the United States ranks 48th in the entire world when it comes to freedom of press. This is a recent development. If the United States had the same rating it did in 2002, we'd have the 17th freest press in the world. Here is what they have to say about us:

That's only part of it. You can read the rest of the report here:

http://www.rsf.org/IMG/pdf/rapport_en_bd-4.pdf

The index is here:

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=24025

Democracy

The Economist, which is by no means a left leaning publication, ranked democratic nations according to these factors:

Electoral Process and pluralism
    Functioning of Government
    Political Participation
    Political Culture
    Civil Liberties

The United States ranked 17 when compared to other full democracies around the world. Not last, and we even "beat" the UK. But we didn't come close to any of the Scandinavian nations, which are some of the most free nations on the earth.

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/DEMOCRACY_INDEX_2007_v3.pdf

There you go.

One interesting thing to note, though. Although we reached 17th place, the United States still achieved the lowest score in the Civil Liberties section among full/free democracies.

Civil Liberties

The Netherlands. Home to some of the most relaxed laws on drugs and sex in the world. They certainly enjoy some rights that most people in the world would get arrested for doing. The Netherlands also is ranked 12th when it come to freedom of press, and ranked 3rd in democracy ranking.

I really don't expect you to click any of these links or even think about anything I posted. You're probably just another trolling conservative. Please, prove me wrong.

22. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Well then, you better get in line behind Barbara Streissand.

Wait -- did Barbara leave yet?

Oh, and with regards to the point of this topic -- while it's my impression that Jeb is a lot smarter and savvier than G.W.B., I agree that would probably sink McCain's chances, whatever they are at the present.

Speaking as a conservative, I'm pulling for Ron Paul. Everyone else in the race is too far away on too many issues for me to consider voting for them.

23. stevegmu macrumors regular

You must have missed the large in my statement. One can not compare a diverse country of 300 million to tiny, homogenous countries with populations of several millions.

Of course. When one doesn't agree lock-step with the majority, they are a Conservative troll.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

lol, good luck with that

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Thank you for confirming everything I thought about you.

You'd think the worlds self-proclaimed superpower would be able to at least meet certain standards that the rest of the industrialized world has managed to reach.

Let me guess. You didn't click a single link I provided. You scrolled down and saw "The Netherlands", and created your entire dismissive post based upon that one example I provided.

When one blatantly disregards FACTS, and fails to provide contrary evidence, yes, they are trolls.