Possible New Olympic Event…Pole Dancing?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Certainly more of a sport than curling.

I support this. I'm going to do a mock up of a USa G-string uniform. :D

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Seriously folks, with Janet Jackson's halftime show fiasco still being debated in the courts you think something like this even stands a chance. No way. I can hear it now, "sorry son, but you have to go to bed early tonight because mommy and daddy are going to watch the Olympics." :p

I admit though, it makes me giggle to think what the play by play commentary would be like? :D

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
It's about time the Olympics had an event like this i think they should also try a few ideas i have rolling around in my head :) but ill leave them for another day :D.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
There is no reason to dislike pole dancing except that it's in relation to stripping. When someone is great at anything it can be art and that can be the greatest soccer player or bricklayer.

People have to get over the idea that sex or sexiness is wrong. War, selfishness, hate, murder, rape, theft & dishonesty are wrong. If you are a Biblical person, you still have no moral arguement to make.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I couldn't think of a more tawdry event for the Olympics.
Oh wait, I could!

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
I couldn't think of a more tawdry event for the Olympics.
Oh wait, I could!
Really, because I think think the same thing about investment bankers, stockbrokers, teen pop stars and the Olympic Committee who takes bribes. It's funny how people have a problem with this when all of the world's problems have nothing to do with this. Perception rarely ever equals reality. All of these women do this as a way out and they perfect their craft to make the most money. Some even do it to pay their way through college.

BTW I don't have kids but I've raised two sisters since I was 12 and one of them is in an Ivy League school. Do not think that I'm mysoginistic. I've been to maybe two strip clubs in my life and that was when I was a teen. It wasn't my style.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Really, because I think think the same thing about investment bankers, stockbrokers, teen pop stars and the Olympic Committee who takes bribes. It's funny how people have a problem with this when all of the world's problems have nothing to do with this. Perception rarely ever equals reality. All of these women do this as a way out and they perfect their craft to make the most money. Some even do it to pay their way through college.
Whoa there laddy. I didn't mention any of those, for all you know we have the same opinions on them things, I was just sticking to the topic.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Whoa there laddy. I didn't mention any of those, for all you know we have the same opinions on them things, I was just sticking to the topic.
I don't know what you meant…that much is true. Your comment, though, left much to interpretation. My answer was to anyone who might argue against it (maybe even you if it was your initial intent).

My comment is about sexuality in general. Many people act like it doesn't matter in the Olympics. Many men like watching the Olympics to watch women's ice skating, on the balance beam, swimming or skiing because of these things. Just like women for the same things. I just argue not to keep ourselves in the closet about this.

There is nothing wrong with the appreciation of the human form…contrary to Apple's claims.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My comment is about sexuality in general. ..... There is nothing wrong with the appreciation of the human form….
However, appreciation of the human form does not necessarily equal participation in or approval of an activity that at it's core is meant to provide sexual gratification. I understand that pole dancing has a history prior to it's modern day association with strip clubs, but the fact remains that it has evolved and in today's culture when someone mentions pole dancing stripping is what most often comes to mind.

It's clear from the article posted that there is a movement seeking to change this perception by redefining pole dancing based on it's athletic aspects as opposed to it's use for sexual stimulation and gratification. However, I think we all can agree that this goal will not be easily achieved and for this reason getting into the Olympics or even being taken seriously as a sport at all will be an uphill battle.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
With pole dancing, does this mean there will be a mens and womens? LOL.... :)
Of course. I think it would be awesome!

There is no reason to dislike pole dancing except that it's in relation to stripping. When someone is great at anything it can be art and that can be the greatest soccer player or bricklayer.

People have to get over the idea that sex or sexiness is wrong. War, selfishness, hate, murder, rape, theft & dishonesty are wrong. If you are a Biblical person, you still have no moral arguement to make.
I think you may be my new best friend. :)