Possible to add another wireless router to existing airport extreme wireless sestup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gothamm, Mar 7, 2010.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I have an airport extreme base station (wireless n draft). problem is, my room is all the way in the back and i get poor reception.

Can i just buy another standard $40 wireless G router and "extend" my wireless network? if so, how easy would this be to accomplish?

would it be as simple as hooking up the $40 router with my airport extreme using via ethernet cable so that it extends it?

update: I am looking at this router...would this accomplish my purpose?

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT160...srch_res_rtr_1

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

unfortunately, that is a little out of my budget right now. Will the router i linked do the same thing?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

are u wanting to extend it via running an ethernet cable or wireless

5. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

i want to connect the new router with my airport extreme via ethernet, placing the new router in my room so i get a better signal there.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

That's very simple with Linksys routers. I have a walkthrough posted here for the WRT54GS, but the setup with the WRT160N will be similar if not the same. What will happen after you've set it up is the WRT160N will act as a wireless access point, broadcasting a different SSID for the same network.

I used to have my WRT54GS connected to my Time Capsule broadcasting a wireless b/g signal while my TC broadcasted wireless n only 5 GHz and it was working like a charm. I speak in past tense since I've subsequently upgraded my setup to include a simultaneous dual band AEBS.

By the way, just a heads up, the link you posted does not work. I assumed you were talking about the WRT160N from what I could make of the URL and as that is another router that I have purchased over the years. FYI, do NOT purchase V2 of that router. V1 and V3 are fine as they use the Broadcom chipset but V2 uses Ralink. Mine gave me no end of trouble no matter which firmware I used, and I couldn't even flash it with DD-WRT since it is unsupported for V2 of that router.