Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007
Been scouring for a way to match up my OSX and iOS Messages apps.

Cannot find a method to add my XXX@chat.facebook.com jabber to Accounts in iOS Messages.

"You can be reached for messages at" - no way to verify address on OSX / iOS. I have FB linked up by adding the account in OSX, but there's no apparent way to do this on iOS.

Possible at all?

thx,
nf

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What are you trying to accomplish? The ability to use Facebook chat inside the Messages app on your iOS device?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Been scouring for a way to match up my OSX and iOS Messages apps.

Cannot find a method to add my XXX@chat.facebook.com jabber to Accounts in iOS Messages.

"You can be reached for messages at" - no way to verify address on OSX / iOS. I have FB linked up by adding the account in OSX, but there's no apparent way to do this on iOS.

Possible at all?

thx,
nf

This is not possible at all.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
iOS Messages is generally only for iMessages and text messages. I'm not sure there's a way to add any other messaging client. They expect that you will use the third party apps like Facebook Messenger.

nfable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007
Yeah, pretty much be able to leave my Mac and pickup on my iPad with the conversation strings from all accounts tied into on OSX, including FB.

Sometimes I like to 'look back' in a conversation with someone to reference a thing.

Is there even a 3rd party solution that I can run the client on my Mac with all my current OSX Messages accounts and a complimentary iPad app that would show the conversations (that's the root of my issue) across devices? Maybe Yos will have this?

thx,
nf

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Yeah, pretty much be able to leave my Mac and pickup on my iPad with the conversation strings from all accounts tied into on OSX, including FB.

Sometimes I like to 'look back' in a conversation with someone to reference a thing.

Is there even a 3rd party solution that I can run the client on my Mac with all my current OSX Messages accounts and a complimentary iPad app that would show the conversations (that's the root of my issue) across devices? Maybe Yos will have this?

thx,
nf

Did some googling and found an app called Trillian that works on OS X and iOS. Looks like it might be what you're looking for. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trillian/id327603487?mt=8

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Did some googling and found an app called Trillian that works on OS X and iOS. Looks like it might be what you're looking for. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trillian/id327603487?mt=8
Yeah something like that will do the trick for multiple IM services. But nothing out there will also combine iMessage (and/or SMS) into it as well.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Yeah something like that will do the trick for multiple IM services. But nothing out there will also combine iMessage (and/or SMS) into it as well.

Very true. Apple doesn't seem to want complete integration of all messaging services across all Apple devices. Personally I would find that confusing anyway :D

nfable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007

Thanks for that, KU. That thing is buggy as heck; multiple crashes and an inability to keep a consistent FB chat connection. But I'll keep an eye on it, maybe an update will help since I'd guess FB changed the way their chat works with their own introduction of a dedicated FB chat app.

I don't see where it would be confusing, if a contact has an IM associated in your contacts, the program could default to that route rather than SMS. The SMS could be colored / icon identified to let the user know which means they are using to communicate so you can have a sense of potential phone plan impact. (sez the guy with no iPhone :)

Well, thanks all for the input on this fool's errand.

-nf

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for that, KU. That thing is buggy as heck; multiple crashes and an inability to keep a consistent FB chat connection. But I'll keep an eye on it, maybe an update will help since I'd guess FB changed the way their chat works with their own introduction of a dedicated FB chat app.

I don't see where it would be confusing, if a contact has an IM associated in your contacts, the program could default to that route rather than SMS. The SMS could be colored / icon identified to let the user know which means they are using to communicate so you can have a sense of potential phone plan impact. (sez the guy with no iPhone :)

-nf
Would be nice but not quite what Apple is doing it seems, at least not on iOS.

As for multi IM support, there are other apps like IM+ that can do the trick as well.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

-nf

It would just be confusing on the iPhone. Maybe less so on the iPad since it's a larger app. Personally I'd rather keep Facebook Messenger separate (although I really wish it was still part of the main app for iPhone...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.