possible to get an original anti-glare display for mbp 15 aftermarket??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howareyoukk, Nov 7, 2013.

1. howareyoukk macrumors regular

my macbook pro 2012 model (non retina) came with hi-res glossy display but i would like to change to a matt-display.The owner of my local computer store claimed that they can get an original matt display for me from apple's suppliers, but it will cost me 250 dollars.So I have few questions:
    1. Can I believe that the display he is getting is original?
    2.Is it worth it to get a anti-glare display now or it will be better to put one a matt protector( maybe moshi AG display?)

Thanks in advanced :)

2. Shubbeh macrumors member

Personally, I always just buy an anti-glare film from Amazon/eBay for my laptop and just install it on the screen the minute the laptop comes out of its brand new box.

3. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for you reply:) have you tried the moshi Anti glare display? If you have, what do you think of it? Any good? Can the anti glare film compete with the original Matt display from apple?

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The Moshi is crap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoNhaYbwn0E

It has no adhesive at the center so it is easy to apply but it blurs and just destroys image quality. The guy in the video has never seen a decent film. A good AG film doesn't hurt sharpness and should even help contrast.

A good film works like this one.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Vikuiti-ARMR200-Anti-Reflexion-Coating.1325.0.html
    Much more trouble at application but the result is infinitely better. If you'd compare this in person to the Moshi, the quality difference is like a touch screen from 10 years ago to an ipad today.
    The red tinge isn't visible in reality and only show if viewed from an angle. As the some of the pictures show is that dark areas actually get darker as the reflected light gets dimmed rather then only spread out with the 3M film. With the iVisor Pro everything gets a grey haze on top of it because the glass underneath the film reflects light and the ivisor doesn't seem to have any anti reflective properties only a matte texture on top. Matte alone only spreads out light but it stays at the same brightness, AR actually keeps light from getting reflected. Also with the iVisor Pro having the matte distortion layer so far from the actual panel will make everything fuzzy.

In any case none of the films can get good results with the glass in the way that the unibody MBPs have. The retina MBP should work quite well with one of those 3M AG films because the film is as close to the panel as possible. The glass in between hurts image quality quite a lot.
    If you have those glass notebooks, a real matte display is probably a lot better. You should only go for the film if you want to save money and primarily care about getting rid of glare and less about image quality. In any case stay away from that Moshi stuff, that is just atrocious and not much cheaper than good quality AR/AG films.

5. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for you reply. I am a bit confused now. Would you say it is wise to replace my hi res glossy to AG original matt display from apple's authorized dealer? Is it even possible to get a genuine one aftermarket?

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The old unibody Macs did have the matte option and naturally it should be possible to get a genuine one. Apple does have the parts and delivers them to their authorized premium resellers and own stores. Also there broken MBPs that are sold for parts over ebay. It may also be possible that some parts come through other channels from asian sources.
    I doubt it isn't genuine. Usually the display is a whole stack and Apple doesn't just replace the panel. I doubt there are any non Apple matte screens out there ever since Apple sells them. Disassembling the glued assembly and adding a different panel would probably be more expensive than just getting the spare part from Apple.

$250 isn't cheap. With the glass glossy screens no film will give you the same quality as the real matte screen which comes without the glass layer for a reason. A flim is way cheaper at around $30-50 and gets rid of the gloss just as well. Removing just the glass and then applying the such a 3M film is probably not easy but I heard that somebody once tried to offer that service. That should work too if you check ifixit for instructions and feel like you are up to the task. I don't know what tools such a job needs but it can work and save money.
    If money isn't the issue just get the Apple matte display. It is almost certainly genuine.

7. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

MOSHI IS CRAP! I AGREE! Just got one, sent it back due to how stupid it was. Horrible display quality and the adhesive being on the sides does not help with keeping dust out after even a weeks worth of use.

That being said, I have no clue what film is good. Powersupport used to be great!

8. tjgonzo macrumors member

tjgonzo

When I bought my cMBP in 2011, I opted for the stock screen. Last year I decided I couldn't handle it anymore and bought a used matte display (the whole enclosure) off ebay for $150 and swapped displays, it took about 10 minutes. Ultimately I would recommend that as the best solution.

9. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for your reply. So, you bought an original apple matt display from ebay and installed yourself? the silver bezel one? how was the quality? did you compare with the macbook that came with matt display ?

10. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

are you serious? I am actually thinking about getting one..because now I cant even stand the glare inside of the house...everytime i watch a movie and see my reflections at the dark area on the screen......

----------

Thanks for your reply. I am planning on using my cmbp for next 4-5 years, after i graduate from university and get a job..So i think is a ok investment if i can get my hands on the genuine display. Do you think it is stupid to get a matt display aftermarket since I didnt even choose at the first place? I am regret that i got the hi-res glossy..should be hi-res matt...

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Stupid? What is done is done. I have a matte 15" MBP 2010 but lots of people don't know how much they dislike glossy until they try it. Many end up being okay with glossy. It also depends on where you work. People always think that direct sunlight or light sources in inopportune locations is the problem, but imo the real issue is any brightly lit situation. I just don't want to see what is writte on my T-Shirt on the screen instead of the movie playing there.
    I used to have a glossy Samsung. Not as bad as a glass covered unibody but also not as bright either. I put a 3M Vikuiti ARM200 film on it and never removed it again. Did its job beautifully.

4-5 years I think $250 isn't much money at all. Just don't get a Moshi. You should be paid for enduring that Moshi crap. I think $250 is well worth it for such a long time and how much more convenient the matte is in when and where you can comfortably work.

12. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

ok..i guess i will just save up a bit of money and get the matt display probably at next year..Oh, one last question, do you think the apple service provider will change the screen for me? i trust them more in terms of the display

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

14. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Yes I am serious! I am saving you a headache. No installer, professional or not will be able to completely get the dust out and it will drive you crazy! Because the only adhesive is on the sides of the Screen Protector and dust keeps sneaking in to the middle portion of the screen which has no adhesive. You get annoyed, take it off, gets worse.

15. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

so what are u going to do next? maybe pay 250 to get an original matt display from apple?

16. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Sadly, I have the new rMBP and they don't even have the OPTION to come with Antiglare so it is a real struggle right now.

My 17" macbook pro did not come antiglare either but I used power supports antiglare. Two years on there and still looks wonderful but sadly they do not sell them anymore. So I am literally stuck...:confused:

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

18. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

19. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Not with that one but I tried the older ARM200 on my Samsung notebook about 6 years ago. I don't know a shop in the US but the film comes from 3M which is a US company. Shouldn't be too hard to buy in the US.