Possible to identify suspect GPU chips on the handful of 2012 machines that got them?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serr, May 26, 2017.

1. serr macrumors regular

The big GPU fiasco with the early 2011 MBP machines. Some of those defective GPUs also got into some late 2011 machines and a small handful of mid 2012 machines. (Literally all their current flagship machines no less!)

Is there a way to identify the defective chips by inspection of the logic board? Do they have unique and known part numbers, or batch/lot numbers? I'm looking to identify suspect logic boards in the mid 2012 machines.

2. leman macrumors G3

I was under impression that the issue was not the GPU itself but the solder used?

3. serr thread starter macrumors regular

Is there an actual consensus that this was a solder formula mistake and not a defective chip that overheats (and THAT is what goes beyond what the solder connections can handle)?

The obvious followup question to the solder theory would be "Well why don't the other components have solder failures then?" Fair question at least?

I also posted a question looking for board house recommendations. Sorting good 2012 logic boards and using them for all 3 models (early & late 2011, mid 2012) is my first choice.

The Apple warranty period is over now so no more free logic board swaps on the chip maker's dime anymore!