Possible to leave the Verizon store with a new Iphone 5 in a sealed box?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakr100, Oct 23, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I'm "upgrading" to an iPhone5, at the upgrade price. I've got one on order, and when it arrives, I will initialize it at my office.

However, my local Verizon store gets in a couple of unsold units every few days, an employee there told me. If I pick an iPhone 5 at the store, will they let me leave without their opening the box and initializing it?

I don't have anything illegal in mind, I just prefer to do these things myself. Is there a Verizon store policy that would prevent me doing what I want?

Thanks.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I don't see why not. When you order from them it comes new, sealed in the box.

3. tsduke macrumors regular

I'd actually be surprised if they would let you with their "activation required" on every sign.

4. gnosticsam macrumors newbie

gnosticsam

I too would be curious to know if they let you. Post back here to let us know what you find out.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Activation occurs when they scan it for pickup. I left with both my phones sealed. It is activated to the line, but won't override the old line until you power up. Keep in mind, if you do a cross upgrade with another line, you won't be able to change the activated number for 24 hours unless you get a new sim.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just curious: did you ask the employee who told you about these units coming in every few days, if they'll let you keep it sealed? he'd probably be the person to ask.

I understand your concern. Last time I ever bought a phone at at carrier store was with the iPhone 3G. After the sales guy opened my box, pulled out the phone to insert a SIM, and fumbled/dropped it, causing it to smack hard against the table a couple of times, I vowed I'd never let a sales rep touch my phone ever again.