Possible to manage my WIFI configuration from outside of my home?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Subjective-C, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Subjective-C macrumors newbie

I have been using LINKSYS router for 10 years and I've been managing my home WIFI from anywhere on this planet, such as I changing WIFI password, changing WIFI name, setting up WIFI policy, etc.

Now, I have replaced my LINKSYS router with airport time capsule, but I am not sure how I can manage my airport time capsule WIFI from outside of my home. Does it even allow us to access it remotely? I am not talking about file sharing, I am strictly talking about managing home WIFI configuration remotely.

Please advise. Thank you.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You would check the box called "Setup Over WAN" in AirPort Utility.

3. Subjective-C, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

Subjective-C thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. I'll try that. Thanks. So, is it going to be web based like that of LinkSys?

UPDATE: Just read from here http://store.apple.com/us/question/...rt-setup-from-a-web-browser/QDAFKXTFUA7AFKTDD that it is impossible to access airport extreme through a web browser. I assume it is the same with airport time capsule, which is basically an extreme + plus a hard drive.

Also, everything I dug out through google about remote access of airport time capsule is about file sharing, which is not what I am interested in.

Sounds like I have to return the airport time capsule and stay with my LinkSys.

4. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Apples TC uses Airport Utility to manage your router settings. Once you enable "Setup Over WAN", You can use the same utility to manage your apple router from outside - this works from OS X and iOS devices as well as from Windows (need to download Airport Utility).

Once you open Airport Utility while outside your network, look for the "Other WIFI Devices" button to select your apple router.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. You would then hit "Configure Other" in AirPort Utility and enter the IP.

6. Subjective-C thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you. So, I downloaded Airport Utility on my iPhone, launched it. It searches and searches and searches and searches. Of course, I am far away from my home at this point of time, but my question is, where is the button or anything that would allow me to enter my router ip or better my no-ip domain?

Attached Files:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Configuration over WAN is only available in the Windows or Mac version of AirPort Utility.

8. Subjective-C thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, that's a dealbreaker. I definitely want to be able to configure my home wifi on my phone. I have been doing it all the time with my LinkSys. This is important when you have children at home and you want to cut off the wifi so they can read a little instead of youtubing or gaming all the time :)

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is what Timed Access Control is for. Have a look and it can do schedules so you do not have to constantly remote in.

10. Subjective-C thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I used to set up access policies on my LinkSys router, too. But fixed schedules don't work out very well for me, so I have given it up and rather turn it on or off whenever I want to. Even when I was travelling in Europe or Asia the last couple of years, I could simply pull out my phone from my pocket and turned on or off my wifi in my home here.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well... I wish it would have worked for you.

12. Subjective-C thread starter macrumors newbie

Me, too. I wish Apple provided such feature.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

All in all the AirPort is a great router but unfortunately the mobile AirPort Utility doesn't support that.

14. Subjective-C thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. I don't understand why they make mobile version of AirPort Utility a little different than the desktop version.

15. eduardrw macrumors 6502

My work around is to use a VNC client on my iPhone / iPad to log into my homes iMac.
    Running AirPort utility locally i can do whatever I need to.

Its a crutch but works.