Possible to output display to monitor (not just video/slideshows)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FWW, Oct 1, 2010.

1. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

Does anyone know if there is a way to output the iphone 4 display to an external monitor using the iPad vga adapter? Not just photos and videos, but actually output everything? Like if I wanted to browse the web with Safari and output to a monitor?

Forest

2. nsbe1 macrumors member

3. FWW thread starter macrumors regular

FWW

Hrm...

Suppose I shall wait patiently for a 4.1 JB

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

if you're using the apple vga dock or apple composite/component cables, you don't even need resupported.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I use DisplayOut with my iPad VGA connector. Works pretty well for me. Can watch NetFlix on my monitor at work :D

6. FWW thread starter macrumors regular

FWW

DisplayOut shows everything though right? In essence, mirroring the phones display? Homescreen, Safari, etc?

What I really want is a way to browse gaming and fantasy league forums and websites at my desk at work. A lot of that includes images of spreadsheets and long sections of text, and its a pain on the phones screen.

7. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I picked up $20 composite cables and with DisplayOut I watch Netflix in the minivan. Works great when the kids want to watch some cartoons when visiting the grandparents.

8. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

displayout gives me major lag when I try to watch videos or play high paced app games....maybe it's just me, I don't know...can't find the solution anywhere on google. Everything else gets mirror displayed nicely, but just sick of the lag when I try to watch videos from my ipad library.

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

DisplayOut mirrors everything on your iPhone screen. Using Safari is a bit odd since it basically blows up whats on your iPhone screen. Still usable but nothing like viewing Safari on your laptop/PC. Some apps that auto-rotate will work however some of them won't rotate properly for some reason.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Is there an app that outputs only video to a TV, rather than just outputting everything on the screen? I seem to remember using one with my 3GS but I'm not sure. I'm using TVOut2 Mirror TVOut on my iphone 4 right now but that outputs my home screen, etc. All I want to be able to do is output the video from slingplayer, my ipod videos, netflix app videos, etc. Is that possible or is TVOut 2 the only way I can do this?