Possible to take boot drive out of one MP, and put it in another? (random shutdowns)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sharky II, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi

I just received my 3rd replacement mac pro, the second one (same spec, apple replaced it for me) is here too. I'm trying to get the 'new' one up and running. They are both identical spec - stock Octo 2.8, with 8800GT, 500GB HD, and Airport.

Anyway, I bought a 750gb Samsung F1 on the 'old' mac pro and installed my OS and all my audio software and plugins on there. The 500GB drive holds only the audio data (no OS).

Is it OK to just remove one boot drive from the 'old' mac pro, and put it in the new one? The are both the same spec machines...

The reason i ask is because i am getting very scary and random SHUTDOWNS on the new mac pro, all of a sudden - it will turn off, then briefly (for half a second) the fans will spin again, then it will die. It is as if something is tripping the power off, or messing with it at least. It's done it several times now. The first time i was doing a time machine backup, came back to the computer an hour later, and it was off completely. It wouldn't start for a while, then all of a sudden, it did on its own, a couple of seconds after i tried pressing the switch.

I tried to run the apple diagnostic test, and shut down after a minute or so. So i took out the stock 500GB hard drive (only the 750GB left in it now) and i'm running it again. We'll see what the results are.

But anyway, has anyone done this? It should be ok to take the drive out and put it back in, right?

Thanks

Eddie

2. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

It passed the hardware test with just the F1 drive. Also, i had moved it into bay 1 (the f1 drive with the OS was in bay 2 before).

I don't know how to make it do it again, or what the next course of action should be...

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i did this with one of my exchanges, it worked but screwed up my time machine volume and i ended up having to reformat it....

4. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

It jsut did it without my drive in, it was booting from the install CD and i was formatting the stock drive using disk utility, i was going to wipe everything and put it back to how it was...

I guess it's going back and i'll have to wait for Mac Pro number FOUR... :eek::mad::rolleyes::(

5. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Sounds like your machine is possessed ;) hehe

3 MPs ? Did all 3 had the same problems?
    Do you have stable electrical power in your house?
    Try hooking up your MP (the one that's possessed, I mean shuts down by itself) to a (big enough) UPS

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I'd start with a clean sweep just to rule out any weird variables.

7. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi

It shuts down even with the F1 removed, while i'm trying to wipe the stock 500GB drive... nothing to do with the F1... so... it has to go back :(